Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cessna 210 Around the World VLOG

It was briefly mentioned somewhere here before, but I think thread of its own makes sense.

Two young guys have recently set off for an eastbound ATW flight in a Cessna 210. I believe this is the first one (or one of the first ones) being filmed and extensively broadcast on youtube almost in real-time (actually, they are a bit behind with the VLOG right now).

They have already set off more than a week ago, but now the adventure really begins. They started on the US east coast and are now (in the VLOG) heading off from Canada towards the North Atlantic.

One of the guys is a rather “young” private pilot, the other a passenger. They seem a little bit clueless regarding international flying, technology, etc. to be honest. But they are very positive about everything, which is a plus… I would say a must in an ATW in an SEP.

On the flight over the North Atlantic, they are joined by Matt Guthmiller, who has flown around the world before, so he will certainly contribute some experience and knowledge.

I will sure follow along. Subscibe if you want to do so too. Here is the link to the channel.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 03 Sep 13:49
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Looks like they left Shoreham yesterday for Stuttgart .

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Seems like they’re already on their way to Eastern Europe. Can’t really understand why they don’t take it a bit more slowly in GA-friendly Central Europe.

Here is the latest youtube episode, covering the leg from Canada to Greenland. Interesting bit on Aspen failure modes… I remotely remember we covered this point here previously, no?

Last Edited by boscomantico at 07 Sep 19:36
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I have to say those videos with flying over inhospitable terrain and over the sea make me feel nervous and uncomfortable. They remind me of my own flights under similar conditions and how nerve wrecking they were. The worst was an unplanned night flight at new moon from Alexandria to Heraklion after having fixed the broken engine in a makeshift way. If I ever do this again, I will swallow a box of Valium before. Risky SEP flights are great when you arrive at your destination but I consider them mental torture. Also nice to see the nervousness of the 2 pilots when the pitot is blocked and the unknowing jolliness of the weed-smoking rastaman in the back

Ive watched up till I believe #10 and I have to say there are a few things puzzling me.

1. Having a ferry tank precludes passengers. Must have only pilots on board or required crew for that airplane.

2. Insurance for the flight. I know Icelanders are very strict with that.

My comments which I will not post on Youtube

1. Looks like they were totally unprepared for the flight.
a. Last minute shopping for survival equipment
b. Having tank installed and not knowing which tank to get.
c. HF radio purchased last minute
d. Thinking that they can land in Greenland on Sunday Good luck
e. Appeared he did not prep the plane mechanically its just from why I saw but I could be wrong.
f. Non deiced airplane so important (for me at least)
g. looks like perhaps non turboed. Have not seen them use O2
h. That gumby suit is useless for a 210 or high wing in arctic waters since you will get water inside.

The biggest fubar is that he doesnt have an Instrument rating. Perhaps by bringing the other pilot he is trying to mitigate the consequences of that.

Overall looks like a lot of things have been left for last minute.

KHTO, LHTL

C210_Flyer wrote:

Ive watched up till I believe #10 and I have to say there are a few things puzzling me.

1. Having a ferry tank precludes passengers. Must have only pilots on board or required crew for that airplane.

2. Insurance for the flight. I know Icelanders are very strict with that.

My comments which I will not post on Youtube

1. Looks like they were totally unprepared for the flight.
a. Last minute shopping for survival equipment
b. Having tank installed and not knowing which tank to get.
c. HF radio purchased last minute
d. Thinking that they can land in Greenland on Sunday Good luck
e. Appeared he did not prep the plane mechanically its just from why I saw but I could be wrong.
f. Non deiced airplane so important (for me at least)
g. looks like perhaps non turboed. Have not seen them use O2
h. That gumby suit is useless for a 210 or high wing in arctic waters since you will get water inside.

The biggest fubar is that he doesnt have an Instrument rating. Perhaps by bringing the other pilot he is trying to mitigate the consequences of that.

Overall looks like a lot of things have been left for last minute.

….and that’s a lot of people stop posting on Youtube

EGTR

I checked their project’s website and the PIC is said to have 1200hrs and a CPL/IR. But I agree he is pretty nervous for a guy of bis experience.
That said, the presence of this very easy going vlogger and their global lack of preparation would make me twice as nervous. I dont know of another ATW flight with (such) a passenger.
You see the presence of Matt, the second pilot from Boston, really changes his behavior (way more relaxed). But this guy is really sharp and flies like a pro (I recommend his YouTube channel, type Matt Guthmiller). Matt seems he’s filming so I hope he’ll post videos about this trip more from a pilot’s perspective.

Their 210 seems deiced (boots) but no idea if it’s turbo. They would have used it if they had one I guess.The ferry tank was chosen and fitted in a few hours, I don’t see theur HF in the cockpit, they watch movies in flight on an Iphone….
The survavibility of a high wing airplane crew is a good debate.

I will keep watching their videos and will report here I see anything interesting when they cross Europe.

Last Edited by Jujupilote at 08 Sep 11:37
LFOU, France

achimha wrote:

and the unknowing jolliness of the weed-smoking rastaman in the back

Hey dont be so critical of Louise. Have you seen the number of women following this trip on Youtube?

You want a following like that I suggest you grow a rasta hairdo.

There should be more emotions on this site.

KHTO, LHTL

Jujupilote wrote:

I checked their project’s website and the PIC is said to have 1200hrs and a CPL/IR. But I agree he is pretty nervous for a guy of bis experience.

Other than the last minute shopping spree for rafts radios survival equip its good that he is concerned about the trip. Im happy he has at least a few hrs. Wonder how much instrument time he has?

OK I did see that the plane had boots.

Last Edited by C210_Flyer at 08 Sep 11:57
KHTO, LHTL

Switlik suits make it easy to pee they hav a good zipper. However one must always check the pee bag for integrity. Also the use of an absorbent pad you see in Hospitals amd medical offices is a good idea to place on the seat.

These guys are a bit scattered. Landing after hours and then calling out the FBO which costs a $1000. Well it a way for expense shock training once you leave the US of A.

What no back up Nav Aids?

KHTO, LHTL
38 Posts
Sign in to add your message