Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cessna 210 Around the World VLOG

C210_Flyer wrote:

What no back up Nav Aids?

A G1000 doesn’t have a backup CDI either so not worse than any factory new airplane.

Also the use of an absorbent pad you see in Hospitals amd medical offices is a good idea to place on the seat.

I was wondering what that was on the pilot seat of your C210, now I understand!

Why don’t people simply turn on the pitot heat every time? Especially if your only AI depends on it

Last Edited by denopa at 08 Sep 14:23
EGTF, LFTF

achimha wrote:

A G1000 doesn’t have a backup CDI either so not worse than any factory new airplane.

Yes it does… A G1000 installation has two displays connected to different avionics units. Either of them can display the CDI.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

One relevant thread is possibly here. It is a really nasty weakness in this product which loses a lot of functionality as soon as airdata (pitot etc) is lost.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Airborne_Again wrote:

A G1000 installation has two displays connected to different avionics units.

There are many scenarios where you can lose both G1000 screens. Hence the backup AI + altimeter. The CDI does not have a backup.

Peter wrote:

It is a really nasty weakness in this product which loses a lot of functionality as soon as airdata (pitot etc) is lost.

The G1000 has similar integrity tests which would make it remove indicators, although not 100% the same as Aspen.

The pitot is a rather critical single point of failure and there are many reasons why you could lose your pitot. In IMC, this could ruin your day. Larger airplanes (e.g. TBM) have 2 independent pitot static systems.

achimha wrote:

There are many scenarios where you can lose both G1000 screens. Hence the backup AI + altimeter. The CDI does not have a backup.

I really don’t see any scenarios where you lose both G1000 screens without also losing the whole electrical system. In that case a separate CDI won’t help.

Do you have an example?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I think the answers are in the thread I linked to, or a similar one. The G1000 can lose it too but it uses GPS data for the background gyro erection / integrity checks, whereas the EFD1000 uses airdata which is arguably a lot more vulnerable.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Is the NAV/COM display not usable at least for localiser backup?

pmh
ekbr ekbi, Denmark

I think they had an Aspen not a 1000 in the 210.

KHTO, LHTL

Here’s their flight from Nuuk to Kulusuk, and then on to Rejkjavik:

In “live” terms, they still seem to be somewhere in the east of Austria.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
Sign in to add your message