Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Air Navigation Services Terminal Charges in Germany

Where is there that you are talking about? Germany

Approaches abroad?

KHTO, LHTL

This year I got an invoice for an IFR approach to Eelde in the Netherlands.

C210_Flyer wrote:

My beef is that with Straubing, even if I cancel my IFR flight plan 2 countries over and proceed VFR

Those 4.20 € that Straubing charged you a year ago seem to have a long lasting effect on you.

The fees of EDMS were approved by the authorities in 2012, including the IFR fee and later they started charging that fee even for pilots that cancel IFR but had an original plan to approach under IFR. The alternative would have been to increase the fee which would cause even more pilots to cancel, possibly in bad weather. It’s just a component of the airport’s landing fee. The reason they have it is pretty simple. A large portion of the airport stakeholders don’t give a d*mn about IFR so when EDMS wanted to fund an RNAV approach, there was a lot of opposition along the lines “we’re not going to pay for something we don’t need, just keep it VFR only”. The solution was to introduce an IFR fee that was supposed to cover the additional cost due to the RNAV approach. In Germany, less that 15% of the private pilot population has an IR.

In my view, that’s an elegant solution and doesn’t hurt anybody. Considering the quality of the infrastructure, EDMS is not expensive.

Elegant or not its an IFR enroute fee so call it what it is and not what it is not. It is not an Approach Fee. No matter how little they charge Who is to say they dont double or triple it or more to balance their books?

Ill venture to say that they are not net neutral for the cost of making and maintaining the cheapest possible approach that airports can have. They have no equipment to maintain other than the lights. Which is shared by night ops. Like I said many many many times if I use it to do an approach Ill gladly pay for it. But not because I file IFR and need it to fly through Austria and Hungary due to weather and airspace restrictions.

What authorities decided on that decision? Is it airport authorities? The owners of the airport? Who?

What percentage of your flights did you file from EDTH to EDMS IFR?

I go there for one reason and one reason only maintenance. If possible I now fly into EDMV or EDMA

EDMV has a nice little restaurant with the best potato salad Iv ever eaten. Its a short walk to the Hauptbahnhof and to a great little Panzio in case I have to stay overnight. While both airport personnel are friendly I just dont like what they are doing charging me an IFR flight plan fee or enroute fee your choice.

KHTO, LHTL

Alexis wrote:

This year I got an invoice for an IFR approach to Eelde in the Netherlands.

Did you do any portion of the approach?

KHTO, LHTL

Sure, I flew the whole IFR approach.

C210_Flyer wrote:

They have no equipment to maintain other than the lights.

Getting the RNAV approach designed and test flown costed a lot of money and there are continued cost to keep the approach such as the certified weather station.

What authorities decided on that decision? Is it airport authorities? The owners of the airport? Who?

Straubing is a public airfield owned by the municipality. The airport management/board can propose a fee schedule and the aviation authority has to approve it.

What percentage of your flights did you file from EDTH to EDMS IFR?

Obviously I fly VFR in OVC002 to not have to pay € 4.20.

I agree that charging an IFR approach fee when cancelling IFR is not textbook perfect. However, I understand why they introduced the fee and I have no problem paying it. This is not the US where taxpayer money funds the whole aviation infrastructure and a very small group of people benefit. The user funding system has its complications. Still, the overall fee at EDMS is very reasonable.

Alexis wrote:

Sure, I flew the whole IFR approach.

Well then you should be charged you know the rules. Now if both the airport and the Navigation agency both charged you I’d call foul.

KHTO, LHTL

The airport charges the landing fee only. Eurocontrol sends the invoice for the approach. All good.

achimha wrote:

However, I understand why they introduced the fee and I have no problem paying it.

Great then in the interest of aviation, the good of all, why dont you pay my 4.20Euro fee every time I fly in and get charged an IFR approach fee when I only file an IFR flight plan but arrive VFR. If on the other hand I actually use their service in that I actually do an IFR approach real or practice, Ill pay for it. This way it can clear your conscious and you’ll know your helping EDMS stay solvent.

So you never answered my question how many flights did you actually file IFR to EDMS and how many IFR approaches have you done this year and last year compared to how many VFR approaches you made during that same time period?

By the way they have 3 large maintenance facilities at their airport with about 100 of workers. So its a real money maker for the town to have that airport there. Think of the salaries the extended salaries the employment that is created for the community.

Sometimes you have to give so you can get. You plant a tree and give it water and fertilizer and it bears fruit the fruit is worth more than the initial time and investment. Maintaining that airport is pittance compared to the reward the town gets from the employment and the leases.

KHTO, LHTL
Sign in to add your message