Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Spain, Menorca LEMH/LESL, 7/8 October 2017

We won’t be able to make this one, sorry!

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

Just keep in mind that immediately after KANIG, if you fly VFR above FL65, you will be inside Barcelona TMA and thus need a clearance. This can be a problem if this occurs just at the moment you are handed off from Montpellier to Barcelona. But in that case, you can always proceed to PORBU first before turning to Menorca, thus remaining totally clear of Barcelona TMA.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I personally would not be too worried about filing a route that ticks all the boxes, even if it looks silly, like in Bosco’s example above. Once you get to Perpignan you start asking for shortcuts and you will very, very probably get them. Actually, you may not even have to ask for one.. No controller is going to make you fly above example as it creates more problems to them then anything else. As to Ampuriabrava, I’ve been vectored around the jumping area a few times at FL100, so they seem quite pragmatic about that.

Last Edited by aart at 23 Sep 20:31
Private field, Mallorca, Spain

aart wrote:

I personally would not be too worried about filing a route that ticks all the boxes

If weather is OK, i will file the plan with the VFR part between Perpignan and Barcelona
If weather is not OK, i will file the big tour under IFR and request directs.

I just ordered an Oxymeter (wanted this one from some time) and two bottles of O-PUR.
Will do some tests.

LFBZ, France

I cannot see those aerosol cans being any good for anything.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

How much GA parking is there at Menorca?

This looks like a pretty adequate GA apron

Administrator

I don’t think anybody except you plans to fly to LEMH. Remember it’s very expensive handling and very expensive Avgas. Most people will come from EU+Schengen anyway and others from the UK will make a short stop somewhere in France… also for Avgas, which is 1,80€ in France and well over 3€ at LEMH. This doesn’t even consider the bureaucracy and hassle to be expected at LEMH, against the warm welcome, zero fees and the possibility to freely move around and gather on the apron at LESL.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

OK – fair point, so let me put the Q regarding LESL. We now have 23 people in the telegram group, which is up there with the most attended fly-ins in the past.

With regard to the avgas price, one needs to consider the net cost after a fuel stop, the cost of that stop, the extra fuel burnt in the climb-out… and any delays creating wx risk.

Administrator

LESL doesn’t look too great for the 23 possibles

BTW I think some of the telegram group members have disabled notifications from the app and thus won’t be picking up messages. Or they have set up their profile to hide their last active time, which makes it a bit pointless for organising e.g. a restaurant because you don’t know who did and who didn’t get the message(s).

Administrator

LESL would be much better for me – would love to avoid the hassle and fees of LEMH, but fully understand that others may need more services/facilities.

Bordeaux
Sign in to add your message