Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Spain, Menorca LEMH/LESL, 7/8 October 2017

Hi everyone,
First post here… But I’ve been reading past threads pretty often and appreciate a lot al the good info available!
I’m based in LELL, Cessna 182 G-MATW and would love to join the Menorca gathering as the proposed dates look good to me… Will wait for further confirmation !
Adrian

LELL, Spain

Welcome to EuroGA Adrian

I recommend joining the Telegram (it’s a messaging app, like Whatsapp but much better) group mentioned in post #37. We discuss the details in there and also use it to organise meeting up etc during the fly-in.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Just got the email from Peter.

Interested!

Hi
This is my first post !
I am interested to join the group to Menorca, I was thinking this summer about it.

I am based at LFLG, with Grumman Tiger.

I am waiting for the final date to confirm joining the flight with you.

Kosai

KR
Kosai
LFLG, France

Welcome, KR

You don’t need to confirm; our meet-ups are informal. Who turns up, turns up That way there is no pressure and each pilot makes their own decision, not pressured by a group-booked hotel, etc.

I have just posted this in the Telegram group (I recommend you join it):

I would suggest not setting a date until we at least see the MSLP chart for the first of the three weekends. That is, 5 days before it. Hotels should not be a problem at this time of the year, and if one sets a date with say a backup date, nobody turns up on the backup date if the first one is cancelled.

Administrator

Could everyone who plans to come please post whether they would come VFR or IFR?

We now have 19 people in the telegram group for this fly-in (potentially 19 aircraft!) and I have no idea who most of them are and what they fly I do know 1 or 2 are VFR (homebuilts). This has a bearing on what sort of wx will qualify for declaring it a no-go.

The wx at Menorca has to be VFR, obviously. No point in doing this otherwise.

Administrator

Was looking for an IFR route from the southwest france (Pau / Toulouse).
It seems that below FL140, nothing is available excepted if going all the way to Marseille.

Going through Perpignan, A27 is not available between KANIG and ABIXO below FL135 (due to Ampuriabrava DZ maybe ?), and B384 is reserved for Barcelona El prat arrivals.

Terrain is not an issue (maximum AMSR are around 6000 feet in this corridor) but DCT’s are not available (max 0 NM).

Without Oxygen, can’t go above FL120.

Any idea other than switching to VFR for this part of flight ?

LFBZ, France

Well, there are few mountains in the way…
Have you played with the autorouter? From Pau, you can cross near Biarritz and stay at FL110.
Yes, any routing via Perpginan, below FL140, is a mess indeed:

If it were really necessary, coulnd’t you climb to FL140 at all? If yes, I would file that and then request to fly somewhat lower. Yes, it is indeed because of LED134 (parajumping area around Ampuriabrava), but they might not be jumping all day.

For these cases, even if you don’t have any “regular” O2 kit, you should always have a couple of these on board:

Last Edited by boscomantico at 23 Sep 14:17
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Thought of those two options.
The third one was to put a VFR part near Perpignan, and request on scene to stay IFR, but that implies the weather is OK to continue VFR if this is refused.

boscomantico wrote:

If it were really necessary, coulnd’t you climb to FL140 at all?

The aircraft could do it, but I never tried to put myself above FL120 without oxygen, so I don’t think I will test this on a big journey, alone on board.

LFBZ, France

Also looked at an IFR route using A27 and hit the same problem KANIG to ABIXO. I cannot make 140 but the flight plan does validate if this section changes to VFR and then back to IFR. Is this likely to give a problem on the day?

EGBP Kemble, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message