Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Hiking fly-in: Spain 2018, LECD etc

My plan for the hike is to walk uphill say +1000m, spend the night in a refuge, dining together enjoying a nice view, and walk back the next day.
Any thoughts ?

@hypoxiacub, do you have any suggestions ? I thought about walking to Refugi Niu d’Aliga from Alp but is it doable?

LFOU, France

@jujupilote That refuge is possible, though I don’t see the need to hike from Alp. There is a road to Coma Oriola, the upper lot for the ski area, which will take you closer.

There is also a road to this point (below), where you can hike the spectacular ridge up to same said refuge and take a car/bus/whatever down to the aerodrome. You’ll use all of 1000m going up and down over Moixeró and Penyes Altes, though the rocks and cliffs are spectacular.

https://goo.gl/maps/mbSqxjyMpMJ2

Thank you very much.
Your road is indeed well suited for hiking the ridge to Niu D’Aliga.
So Day 1 : close to refugi del Cortals de l’Ingla – refugi Niu d’aliga
Day 2 : refugi Niu d’aliga – Masella (ski resort about half way down the refuge) or even Alp direct depending how we walk.

Here are the features of Niu d’Aliga refuge (where we would spend the night)

I should add that pilots/relatives that are not hiking addicts should not feel aside from this trip.
Puigcerda near Alp and Mont Louis across the French border are both very scenic and typical places.
For shopping, I guess Andorra is best suited
One could also walk with us up the ridge just to get the view, and then back. In this cas, renting a van could be a smart move.

Always open to suggestions !

Last Edited by Jujupilote at 21 Feb 20:11
LFOU, France

Glad to hear that you have some mercy for some of us, Jujupilote
I may join for a hike, but maybe not all the way that you suggest. I should not speak for our Great Leader Peter of course, but he may think likewise Before you know it, he’d have spent his O2 bottles on the hike!

Thanks for your continued efforts to keep this fly-in on course, and thanks to hypoxiacub for the valuable info. I may just change my ‘possible’ into a more firm intent..

If you want I can help coordinate things a bit, as a Spanish speaker. On the other hand I think that at the aerodrome and at hotels in Alp they probably speak French or English relatively well.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Jujupilote wrote:

My plan for the hike is to walk uphill say +1000m, spend the night in a refuge, dining together enjoying a nice view, and walk back the next day.
Any thoughts ?

This sounds good for me! I’m not in the best shape I’ve ever been, but if I’m flying out there, I want to challenge myself a bit, too! :-)

I’m increasingly likely to be able to take part, as I’ve built some other things (places to fly to) around this now…

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

What sort of sleeping arrangement is a “refuge”?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

What sort of sleeping arrangement is a “refuge”?

In Germany, it would look like so and provide shelter and food to hikers:

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

Is it like a dormitory inside?

That is what youth hostels are, or used to be in the 1970s when I did some of that… until their clients started to want their own rooms

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I posted the list above (post 83) to show you what this refuge offers.
What it tells us is that there are beds, blankets and showers. It does not say if there are private rooms but I don’t think so. I looked for that online and didn’t find the answer yet.

Here are some pictures (none of sleeping rooms sorry)

LFOU, France

This shelter looks great I’m planning on attending too if conditions permit. Current plan would be to fly from LFMD in a PA28. It’s a plane I could rent from http://www.aeroclub-uaca.org/ Recently joined this club and they allow longer trips provided there’s 2 hours of flying / day.

LFMD
Sign in to add your message