Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Ferry pilot USA-Europe

Sorry for my late reply @aviator. I just now saw your message.

The plane comes from Van Bortel. It’s a 2014 TTx.
I’m also surprised there are not more of these great planes flying in Europe.
For sure the marketing from Cirrus is much better and it is also a great plane off course.
However I like the TTx more than the SR22T (which is the only fair version to compare).
I also realise this is an Apple-Microsoft kind of discussion with only winners :-)

Charlie_Alpha
EHBD, Netherlands

Someone should organise a European COL3/4 fly-in. Maybe at Kempen?

EGTR

Yes a European COL3/4/TTx fly-in would be nice.
First I have to pick up my plane in January before organizing a fly-inn though :-)
However I already talked about it with Kempen Airport and Van Bortel and will try to organize it for 2018.

More later…

Charlie_Alpha
EHBD, Netherlands

Excellent. Keep me informed and if there is some traction I will do a mailing. It goes (a few times a year) to everybody who has logged in within the previous 12 months and that usually boosts the turnout substantially. I would suggest a new thread.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Reviving this thread – I am planning (most likely) to bring my TR182 from California to France when I move next year. I don’t really want to do the Atlantic crossing myself. I’ll follow up the suggestions that were here before, but any suggestions for ferry pilots etc would be very welcome.

Thanks…

John

LFMD, France

@johnh due to quarantine restrictions it is all quite complicated. Canadian authorities are protecting the Nunavut nation and you cannot overnight, and PPR Frobisher/Iqaluit is apparently quite difficult. Also unlikely a single crew would manage the VFR northern route and meet duty times and the health restrictions. Bangor Maine – Quebec City – Iqaluit – Søndre Strømfjord in one day in a TR182 would be heroic, even if the arctic weather gods allowed it.

This probably means the Goose Bay – Narssasuaq IFR leg, which will require either HF or filing FL250. Again not sure you can overnight in Goose Bay, and the Narssasuaq approach requires good weather. With ferry tanks and HF you could do Goose Bay – Keflavik. Although if you can’t overnight in Canada it is another heroic day starting in Bangor to clear customs.

There seems to be a few experienced SEP ferry pilots who make a living bringing the Cirrus type over on a regular basis, but because of the above not sure whether any piston flights are taking place at the moment.

On top of this there is a several month waiting list to gain a C1 visa if you are not a US citizen/resident plus the usual quarantine rules on arrival, this works both ways. This might improve with testing but am not optimistic the VFR northern route will re open any time soon.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

I’m in the other situation… Have to go to Missouri to pass a recurrent training and looking for seat on a private airplane to enter the States…
Thanks to Covid we cannot enter via commercial flight for recurrent training (B1/B2) but if crew C1/D is allowed… Strange time…

LFPT Pontoise, LFPB

johnh wrote:

I am planning (most likely) to bring my TR182 from California to France when I move next year.

Next year the situation with restrictions will probably improve and I guess ferry flight will be possible without limitations. If you want I can send you contact of a friend of mine who does this regularly and who ferried one C172 for me few years ago.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

johnh wrote:

when I move next year

Make sure to check the customs and tax details before you start. Usually you will have to pay VAT on the aircraft value but there is some exception if it is part of your household and you move over. But make sure to get that procedure right.

Also consider the time of the year. I had a customer who had his ferry delayed for about half a year. In winter it seems sometimes you can not really fly without deicing for months. I did such a ferry in December once with a PA46 and I would seriously reconsider this next time. In Canada and sometimes Greenland it is often so cold you should not let the aircraft cool down or you will never get it going again. So you would have to keep going all the time from southern Canada to Iceland which can be very exhausting.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

So you would have to keep going all the time from southern Canada to Iceland which can be very exhausting.

Actually from Maine USA to Greenland until they change quarantine rules in Canada. And physically not possible in a puddle jumper routing via Iqaluit.

The Canadian airports will arrange for the aircraft to be heated at a relatively reasonable cost, if they allow you to overnight.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message