Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

2018 fly-in - Cambridge EGSC 12-13 May 2018

I will most likely come. I need to pick some nice refueling place in France.

Edit: Actually, I can do it direct – 5 hours with no wind, which can turn to 6 hours with 20-30 ktsof headwind.

Last Edited by Emir at 26 Nov 02:16
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Around 8 planes already for Cambridge and still 6 months to go

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’ll come into town on the bus – does that count?

TJ
Cambridge EGSC

Only around 3h45 on the push bike from London or 15 min from Andrewsfield in the Super Cub.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Is The Netherlands a total no-go if without Mode-S? I guess in this case I would have to go south through Germany and France. Are there any plans for making Mode-S mandatory in France? Germany I can manage below 5000 feet.

ESME, ESMS

Dimme wrote:

Is The Netherlands a total no-go if without Mode-S?

Just stay below 1200ft and outside CAS

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Is The Netherlands a total no-go if without Mode-S? I guess in this case I would have to go south through Germany and France. Are there any plans for making Mode-S mandatory in France? Germany I can manage below 5000 feet.

As Peter said, you just need to say out of controlled airspace and at 1200ft or below, and out of the Amsterdam North Sea Area (from about 0.5nm off shore).

1200ft sounds awfully low, but in reality the Netherlands is very flat very few obstacles coming up that high. I might be wrong but I think someone told me there is only one at that height?

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Peter wrote:

I wonder why so few Spanish pilots appear to be flying?

Private flying here is a very specific and relatively expensive hobby that not many people are into. The mean citizen here sees private flying only as a first step to became professional, or alternatively something for a few eccentric and wealthy, in some degree, individuals.

I would say that the majority of private flying here consists mainly in local flights and day trips, or maybe two or three days occasionally. There is very little ‘family flying’, most of us fly alone, or with friends or fellow pilots. And normally you do Portugal or stay inside Spain most of the time. Just take into account that from a big area of the country you need more than 3h just to arrive to France border, and then you have the Pyrenees with the associated meteorological difficulties, so it’s not really easy or practical for just a day or two days trip. Which also, probably, is the same reason why there are really few European visitors here [privately flying I mean, obviously :-)].
In other European countries you have a lot of abroad destinations in around 2 h or even less, with no big elevations to cross.
Another important factor not to forget is that from euro adoption the cost of living is not far away from other European countries, but the mean salary is noticeable lower. So frequent long distance flying is just not really affordable for a big percentage of the population.

Just a few hints from my view

On a different topic, I recommend Merida for any other occasion. Small city with great heritage, it was the capital of Lusitania roman province and conserves a lot of roman buildings. Can be seen in one full day.
LEBZ is perfect for IFR and customs. Additionally there is a small aerodrome with a 650m asphalt runway less than 10 km north of the city, but no fuel or customs available there, so a previous stop will be needed.

Last Edited by Coolhand at 27 Nov 13:00
LECU - Madrid, Spain

Interesting… Coolhand. You do have a lot of UL activity though.

BTW I still plan to fly to Merida before xmas. LEBZ 271300Z 00000KT CAVOK 16/01 Q1026. Not unpleasant! Maybe some mini meetup can be organised for that.

I am sure Cambridge will be really nice – unless it rains

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

dublinpilot wrote:

out of the Amsterdam North Sea Area

It looked like a nice shortcut outside of all complicated airspace :S

ESME, ESMS
Sign in to add your message