Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

2018 fly-in - Cambridge EGSC 12-13 May 2018

Thanks Peter
Sorry to be a pain, but how does this Telegram thing work?

Regret no current medical
Was Sandtoft EGCF, North England, United Kingdom

It is a messaging app on which one can create groups. It is like Whatsapp but works much better.

It saves many posts here on the forum threads about where people are meeting up, etc.

The joining link just lets you into the group.

It does sound like there is some problem with IOS and Telegram…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Just a reminder:

I suggest everyone who is interested in coming to Cambridge joins the telegram group – see post #1.

The restaurant would like the menu to be pre-chosen a few days ahead, so please let me know your choices. They sent me the menu and it is here.

Administrator

This is for anyone not in the telegram group.

Cambridge is 24hrs PPR, bizzarely. They also want to get a copy of the GAR form. Normally the GAR form is emailed to

I suggest just phoning the airport on the above number, and don’t forget the yellow jacket; this is UK empire building at its best

I wonder what the hell the above AIP extract is saying. In the UK, every airport is a Port of Entry, implemented via the GAR form. And for EU inbounds, the GAR is required 4hrs before landing. So I haven’t got a clue why Cambridge want the GAR 24hrs before! In any case an airport is not entitled to see the GAR unless it is registered under the Data Protection Act for that purpose (that’s another big topic which was done to death years ago and seems to have come back here).

Administrator

Peter wrote:

They also want to get a copy of the GAR form

email the GAR form to ….. [email protected]

I used to wonder about this in the past as well. My conclusion is that they simply wanted to simplify the mess of different prenotification times for flights to the UK (4/12/24 hours). They can’t be bothered to explain to all the people for which kinds of origin how much advance notice is required. Hence, to make it simple, they simply took the “worst case scenario” (i.e. a flight arriving from outside the EU, Switzerland for example) and put that “case” in the AIP. Sod it.

Then, what they do is they simply combine the GAR and the PPR processes (the later if which being total UK nonsense of course, but that’s a different topic) and simply say “just send us your GAR for our (own) PPR purposes and that’ll be fine”.

If you fly there from within the UK, it is definitely sufficient to just call them up an hour before or so for PPR.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 10 May 06:04
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Yes that looks likely. But the airport has no business seeing the GAR form in the first place. It is supposed to go only to UK Immigration (the hmrc address, or sent via OnlineGAR, etc). This is bizzare because most people, reading the AIP entry, are not going to send it to anyone else, so the airport is now liable for passing it on to Immigration. And you can be bloody sure that if they screw up, the police are not going to be at all interested in who screwed up and you will get the “interview”. The police are never interested in who in the middle was apparently responsible; they just go for the strict compliance or lack of.

The other strange thing is that here it states

A PPR application form appears here and they want it sent to

@quatrelle – why email the GAR form to the aeroclub?

Unfortunately PPR is far from being a UK only thing these days…

Administrator

Peter wrote:

don’t forget the yellow jacket;

There are standards for hi-vis clothing (EN 471). Are you required to follow them or will any “yellow jacket” do?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Administrator

Ref Peter at #139
I get the impression from EGSC Opps that ALL aircraft regardless of type/size must have PPR

Regret no current medical
Was Sandtoft EGCF, North England, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message