Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

2018 fly-in - Cambridge EGSC 12-13 May 2018

I’d certainly go to one in Cambridge.

One I could finally fly myself to

EIWT Weston, Ireland

I would like to join a Cambridge fly-in too. The only restricting factor is the difficulty to take my dog with me. So doing a UK fly-in will lead to some arguments with my wife, because only one of us could take part.

EDDS , Germany

Cambridge is really nice from what I have seen on pictures. I have already tried EGSC twice but always stopped because of bad weather.
As a German I would suggest Erfurt/Weimar (EDDE). The airport has IAP, customs, few traffic, huge apron, moderate fees. The nice old city center can be reached by a short and sheap ride by TRAM. Weimar is nearby and can be reached by a short train journey as well.

Berlin, Germany

A recent writeup on Cambridge is here.

It’s very nice – for a city – in that there is a lot of history, lots of pic taking opportunities, and lots of places to walk about and hang out.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I suggested Cambridge (which always allows a quick side visit to Duxford) in my trip report here. But I wouldn’t do a fly-in there anytime before the beginning of June. Early May is indeed the time to fly down south. But of course that means crossing or circumnavigating the Alps in many cases, and that does seem to deter a lot of people (some due to distance, which I understand, some due to apprehension, which I understand less well).

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I got this from Badajoz LEBZ:

Not outrageously expensive.

Administrator

Cheap landing and approximately 10€/day parking – pretty much as same as rest of Spain.

@Peter, can you check Cambridge as well?

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

There are several writeups here on Cambridge e.g. here.

It is a non-problematic airport. It costs about £30 for a reasonably flat grass and for another £20 you can get hard parking.

Customs/Immigration are of course always available, via the GAR form. 4hrs arrival notice from the EU (if all are EU citizens) and 24hrs otherwise. The departure notice periods are zero and 24hrs respectively, IIRC. Avgas no problem – lots of GA uses it. ILS too.

Since we have no other “popular” input let’s run with Cambridge UK for the second weekend in May 2018. I have put this under Meetups.

I am going to phone up Boris Johnson and maybe he can use his charm on the city Mayor to get us free parking

Administrator

According to link provided by @boscomantico I’m loking at £150 e.g. €170 (twin landing, few days of parking, instrument approach). What’s so special in twin that landing fee is more expensive?

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
Sign in to add your message