Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flytrip 2018, help us out!

Dimme wrote:

A friend who went there said that the landing fee was waved if you ate at the restaurant. However I cannot find an “official” source for this.

They confirmed this via mail.

EBMO, EBKT

Thanks once again for all the great advice, it was a great trip!

The airplanes:
Cessna 172R OO-KPA
JMB Aircraft VL3 OO-G05
Aerospool Dynamic WT9 D-MYPP

Our route:
EBMO (Moorsele) – Wangerooge – Helgoland – Endelave – Odense – Samsø – Læsø – Höganäs – Vejrø – Bielefeld – EBMO (Moorsele)

Some info:

Wangerooge: great island, nice airport, no cars, camping not allowed
Helgoland: nice challenge, cheap fuel, sea lions chilling on the beach :)
Endelave: very quiet island, no fuel, you can camp on the aiport, there are bikes available, 5min to a small shop.
Odense: For us Belgians this is a lookalike of EBOS / Ostend airport, but a bit less expensive, for us this was just a quick fuelstop.
Samsø: Bikes available, landing fee was quite high for a small grass field, restaurant is about 30-40 min by bike, no fuel
Læsø: Electric cars available on the airport, camping 10min from the airport by car, nice port with great restaurants, no fuel.
Höganäs: just because we wanted to go to Sweden (because we could :)), bikes available, the city is just 10min away, UL91 and avgas available.
Vejrø: Private island, no fuel, just 1,5 square kilometre, very cool island, very luxurious / very expensive. Unfortunately, this happened when we were preparing to leave: https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=211866
Bielefeld: Great refueling stop, cheap fuel and landing tax, Italian restaurant on the airport.

I would advise the route to everyone who likes a bit of adventure (as I mentioned before, we tend to avoid big airports).

A short playful aftermovie inspired on the Belgian tv series ‘Windkracht 10’:

I’ll post some more pictures soon,…

EBMO, EBKT

Nice trip and pictures, the weather must have been great as well.

jvdo wrote:

Unfortunately, this happened when we were preparing to leave: https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=211866

I met the pilot of this A/C not so long time ago in Sweden, he is a regular poster here but it might not have been him flying this time. I hope the damage is repairable and that the insurance company is willing to pay, it’s such a nice aircraft! Every landing you can walk away from is a great landing, glad people were not harmed!

Last Edited by Dimme at 08 Jun 11:33
ESME, ESMS

Dimme wrote:

Nice trip and pictures, the weather must have been great as well.

We had to wait quite some time before we could depart in Belgium due to some low fog, but once this cleared we could reach Wangerooge via the east of the Netherlands, it was to foggy in the west. Once we arrived at Wangerooge the weather was great for the rest of the week, which is quite strange for Denmark / Sweden I guess :)
The last day we had to wait till 1PM to be able to leave Vejrø due to some low clouds over the South of Denmark / North of Germany, we had to fly at 1000ft for the 1st hour of our flight back, but after that it cleared and we had great weather for the last hours of our flight back to Belgium.

Dimme wrote:

I met the pilot of this A/C not so long time ago in Sweden, he is a regular poster here but it might not have been him flying this time. I hope the damage is repairable and that the insurance company is willing to pay, it’s such a nice aircraft! Every landing you can walk away from is a great landing, glad people were not harmed!

Somebody told me they owned the plane with 4 families.
It’s a very nice airplane! I hope they can repair it fast & easy… but I wonder how they will get it out of Vejrø?!

Last Edited by jvdo at 08 Jun 11:55
EBMO, EBKT

In places like Vejro, the temptation with heavy and somewhat fast aircraft is always to land as short and to fly the final bit of the approach as low as possible.
(…despite this runway being almot 700 meters long, flat and in almost perfect condition, so there is really no need to cut it so tight…)
And one day, you will just be a tad too low or slow and will rip your gear off on the threshold…

I hope it will not have any negative consequences for Vejro airstrip, but I don’t think so.

By the way, there was also a bad accident involving a DA42 at Endelave that weekend…

@jvdo : You picked extremely good weather for this trip (I went to southern Norway in the same timeframe).
Love the drone shot of Vejro…

Last Edited by boscomantico at 08 Jun 12:09
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

In places like Vejro, the temptation with heavy and somewhat fast aircraft is always to land as short and to fly the approach as low as possible.
(…despite this runway being almot 700 meters long, flat and in almost perfect condition, so there is really no need to cut it so tight)
And one day, you will just be a tad too low or slow and will rip your gear off on the threshold…

Indeed, the runway is quite long and there is not a single obstacle, so there is no need to drag it in and touch on the first meter.
But ok, I’ll never say never, the pilot flew for 35 years without a single incident. A crash is always just a few seconds away…

boscomantico wrote:

By the way, there was also a bad accident involving a DA42 at Endelave that weekend…

It was a Partenavia (https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=211857), I googled a bit and it seems it’s not the first crash at Endelave, I wonder why, since this is a great and easy airstrip.
I guess the only catch is the crosswind from the north combined with the trees/bushes just next to the runway.

boscomantico wrote:

@jvdo : You picked extremely good weather for this trip. Was great, no? (I went to southern Norway in the same timeframe).

We were extremely lucky, we picked the date for the trip in January or February :)

Last Edited by jvdo at 08 Jun 12:09
EBMO, EBKT

Yeah, sometimes, you just got to be lucky!

Sorry, my bad, it was a Partenavia indeed…
However, I always found Endelave a little more tricky than Vejro. A bit shorter, a bit more narrow, a bit softer and a bit more stuff around that might cause turbulence. But anyway, that might not have anything to do with the crash.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Our arrival into Helgoland:

More video’s coming up later this week.

EBMO, EBKT

Congratulations !! You had the right weather at the right time !
Vejro is getting higher on my to-go list !!

LFOU, France

Dimme – it was good to meet you in Eslov.

Eslov is about as short as I would plan for in a Corvalis, and while I have never been to Vejlo it is officially 550m. So no, I did not have any part in the event on Sunday other than the fact that I own part of the plane (top half, I’d like to think)

Last Edited by mmgreve at 08 Jun 20:59
EGTR
Sign in to add your message