Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Creating a basic airport database (merged)

Then we are talking about two different books – Guide Delage was more a French equivalent of Pooleys IIRC

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

I doubt that someone will actually do it, but I’d pay a small subscription for a database which told me easily:
- Immigration available (and hours)
- Car rental availability (and hours)
- Ability to Land (/re-renter) the airfield out of hours
- PCL available or not (and if pre-notice required)
- Fuel availability (and self service)
- Scheme of mandatory fees

Ideally I’d say I want to go from point A to point B, and it would suggest airports (with stop if required, for immigration, for instance).

Flying from the UK into continental europe can be a bit of a pain when you depart in the evening (after work), and easily filtering for the above would save a ton of time in planning

Here we go – Le Guide Escale du pilote- last published in 2010 as far as I can tell

Last Edited by Peter_Mundy at 02 Feb 10:42
EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

For France there is an Android application: Air Resto
Rough translation of description. It is as good as its users:
More than 430 restaurants on public and private airfields geolocated in France.
You can view detailed information on the desired restaurant, such as hours of operation, phone number, address, department, the aerodrome where the restaurant is located, or the address of its website. You can also locate the airfield restaurant on the map and contact information.
Record your favorite restaurants to find them quickly. Use the rating system & comments to share your opinion about the restaurant.
You can find Aero restaurants near your position using the “Local Search” or by typing the name of the aerodrome where you want to find eating places.
Note: Your current GPS location will be required if you want to use the restaurant search function “Nearby”. Make sure your GPS is enabled. Otherwise, you should start a search manually.
You can simulate your trip by entering an aerodrome or departure and arrival restaurant. Air Resto determines your heading, time to destination and the distance from you to either aerodrome restaurant.
Know a restaurant that is not listed in the app? Want to change the information of a restaurant? You can create a new restaurant using the Add or modify an existing one with the Edit function with ease.
This free application is to be used for the purpose of ground simulation only and should not be used during an aircraft in flight.
Thanks to Jean-Paul Rendu for data source
Simon

Last Edited by simon32 at 02 Feb 11:03

Noe wrote:

I doubt that someone will actually do it, but I’d pay a small subscription for a database which told me easily:
- Immigration available (and hours)
- Car rental availability (and hours)
- Ability to Land (/re-renter) the airfield out of hours
- PCL available or not (and if pre-notice required)
- Fuel availability (and self service)
- Scheme of mandatory fees

We have been building such a database at Open Flightmaps for years now. We have airport information for almost all European countries that OFM currently supports. The idea is that we will release our own plate packages with all this information, with detailed vector taxi diagrams, approach plates, and much more! However, since we work voluntarily and the software to prepare such a package takes time to develop, you will have to wait to see the fruit of our labor.

ESME, ESMS

One of the problems with creating ‘new’ listings is whether, as Peter has written, they ever get ‘critical mass’; or long term support.
The web is, sadly, littered with good intentions of pilots in the past, which seem to dry up or loose enthusiasm over a period of time.
I think of this German initiative: www.you-fly.com/servlet/aid/AirportInformation.class?search&session=a39zk8 which continues to struggle after many years of trying to get pilots involved.
If anyone can succeed, where others have failed : Best of luck to them.

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

I have just added a restaurant and thought about adding the website of this restaurant.
Can you modify/add afterwards? Would be great if the writer (or maybe any member?) can add information.

Charlie_Alpha
EHBD, Netherlands

Thanks, I just published it. No, not really, the update interface is missing. I’m processing all the feedback I got to decide where to go with this project – the very fact that this discussion exists is encouraging but as others mentioned the path to getting that critical mass is less than obvious.

I’m trying to figure out what could incentivize people to take more trips. Euroga might not be the right audience because it seems that most people here can find the information they need when they need it and can work out the various obstacles that may pop up, but still. Couple of random questions:

• would it be easier for someone to take a trip if they were joining a group of 2-3 aircraft instead of going somewhere by themselves? (or is it going to be too intimidating?)
  • on longer, multi days trips, would the decision to go a bit easier if there were someone taking care of transporting the luggage, etc, and waiting the pilots at the destination to make sure that parking / car rental goes smoothly? Eg. I’ve an aztec, I could load everyone’s luggage to alleviate w&b concerns
  • what % of people don’t fly enough because they can’t take a weekend off family and thus would fly more if they could easily participate to family-friendly trips?
Last Edited by wleferrand at 04 Feb 11:59

Euroga might not be the right audience because it seems that most people here can find the information they need when they need it and can work out the various obstacles that may pop up,

That may be true for 2 or 3 posters but not for most. A database would be a big timesaver.

OTOH, given the history of these GA projects, I think most people would not fully trust it, and continue to use the AIP.

I think the biggest motivator is a group meet up. GA does not have a lot of social activity and any such option is attractive. The aeroclub scene provides a social side in some places but usually with drawbacks which limit how far etc people can go.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message