Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Creating a basic airport database (merged)

OK, sure. In fact one could create a google search expression which gets you that info out of EuroGA, but point taken; this is a good feature.

here

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

How would you see the user interface?

When signing up on EuroGa (or anytime in the profile) one can consent to display the ICAO code and to be contactable.

Then sort the applicable users for example by their last posting, total posts etc..

always learning
LO__, Austria

is https://accret.io alive ? I am trying to visit but getting only “This site can’t be reached”

LKKU, LKTB

Michal wrote:

is https://accret.io alive ?

No, it’s not.

What is the most popular airport data site now?

I have just looked at eddh.de (which gets loads of mentions) and picking some known-popular spots, I see surprisingly few contributions there.

Administrator

Any other input on features?

We are at the user interface specification stage.

Administrator

Some kind of template or prompts to get more comprehensive feedback:
Landing, handling prices
Restaurant on airfield, and quality
Things to do within walking distance
Transport (taxi, bus, tram, bicycle etc)
GA friendliness
Local attractions
Fuel availability (e.g. aeroclub closed = no fuel)
Quality of surfaces e.g. rabbit holes in grass, gravel on tarmac

Rather than just a star rating I’d like qualitative advice which might not fit into any category, e.g. “email the aeroclub to avoid handling from Signature” or “it’s the second bus stop, take the blue route, five stops to the beach”

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Great points. I think we have all these in the spec now.

The plan is checkboxes for well defined options, and a free text editor for general comments about anything and everything.

It is a good Q whether to have it prompting, or present a form to complete. The “fashionable tendency” nowadays is to prompt for each item (with a Back button provided), but I think most people (with a brain) really hate that. Especially if presented in 24pt font They want to have an overall view of what the thing which is asking for this info looks like. The challenge with a form is that it has to scale and form correctly for various client device screen sizes, but that is fairly easy to do.

Administrator

I agree on the full form, which I strongly prefer: There is nothing more annoying than the kind of survey who forces you to go through several pages without knowing what is coming next.

For me what is most important (what I spend more time finding out when planning a trip):
- Immigration:
– availability: schedule (generally little need to add out of schedule, because it is normally prohibitely expensive)
– advance notification/request:
Required?
If so, notification or request? and with what delay

- Hours of operation

- Out of hours operation
– Forbidden
– Available
– just show up?
– advance notification / request required
– cost

- Night operation
– Not available
– Only in hours of operation
– Available in schedule (could be 24h)
– pre-notification required?
– PCL?

- Car rental availability

In fact, the secret towards the great success of eddh.de was that it was dead easy to use and no user „guidance“ at all. Just a free text field to leave your notes. No login, no boxes to tick, no nothing. But of course, time has moved on since 2001….

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
Sign in to add your message