Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Creating a basic airport database (merged)

What about a chatbot/AI that organizes fly-ins based on your preferences, your schedule and the weather?

Another social activity could be house-swaps. I’ve a place in Toulouse that I’m not interested in renting to a stranger, but if a fellow pilot from Munich wanted to come down and spend a weekend in Toulouse, I would be considering swapping with him/her. Additional bonus points if we can each leave a car at the airfield for the other to drive in down. Any thoughts?

(Edit: it would come with some unique challenges, such as what to do when only one party cancels its flight :))

Last Edited by wleferrand at 05 Feb 00:38

wleferrand wrote:

would it be easier for someone to take a trip if they were joining a group of 2-3 aircraft instead of going somewhere by themselves? (or is it going to be too intimidating?)

I would say more interesting (more purpose and more fun) but more difficult to schedule (several planning to match)

wleferrand wrote:

on longer, multi days trips, would the decision to go a bit easier if there were someone taking care of transporting the luggage, etc, and waiting the pilots at the destination to make sure that parking / car rental goes smoothly? Eg. I’ve an aztec, I could load everyone’s luggage to alleviate w&b concerns

You mean a kind of free trip facilitator ? It would sure be appreciated.

wleferrand wrote:

what % of people don’t fly enough because they can’t take a weekend off family and thus would fly more if they could easily participate to family-friendly trips?

People need a solid case to give their family the will to ride along. The uncertainty of VFR travel is already a hassle, family-friendly destinations are key. Then “family-friendly” can mean different things to different people.

To sum it up :

• aircraft owners are alone except of forums like this one
  • club renters who want to travel are often alone in their clubs (if I asked for advice about an international travel in my club, almost nobody could help me, and most would deter me)

So we need a structure able to gather all kinds of pilots willing to travel, and willing to show their family GA is a great vacation style
That being said, the objective should still be to make pilots able to take those trips alone with their family, without the group (i’m sure that’s what you thought).

LFOU, France

Peter wrote:

A database would be a big timesaver. (…) I think most people would not fully trust it, and continue to use the AIP.

I would trust it far more if there would be explicit information freshness management. Only a clear labelling of “up to what AIP revision the information has been synchronised and checked” and some colour coding to indicate whether that is the latest (since the schedule is internationally known in advance and synchronised, this should be easy). It then takes only one person per airfield to check each revision (or even better, revision preview) and update the label as long as nothing changes. I would probably volunteer to do that for my homebase, if the database is under some kind of free-as-in-free-speech licence.

Add a direct deep link to the AIP, and you’re set.

ELLX

One issue is that the AIPs don’t, AFAIK, contain a change log. So somebody has to see if anything has changed.

But this project would be just the basic airport features, like opening hours, customs/immigration, avgas… with an option for people to add free format comments. Is that about right?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

One issue is that the AIPs don’t, AFAIK, contain a change log.

Each paper/PDF AIP revision contains the list of changed pages since previous revision, and a “checklist” that lists each page and its last revision date. On the pages themselves, the changed lines (since last revision) are highlighted by a vertical bar in the margin.

The eAIP HTML format contains a checkbox top right, with tooltip “Show amendments” which will show removed parts crossed out on dark purple background, and added parts on lighter purple background. Plus the entry page contains preview of the next cycle, and a PDF download with only the changed pages.

ELLX

That’s great, because when I spoke to a guy who used to do a (now defunct) European flight planning product, he said he preferred the printed AIPs because he could open the current and the last and see where the changes were This was 5-10 years ago.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The airfield database would definitely be helpful and we need to figure out a way to get it done.

For the purpose of promoting GA in general and GA-trips in particular, I think that it could be interesting to list “adventures” in a format that makes it easy for someone to use them as the basis for their own trips. That includes the flying portion of course, but also all the activities that make the trip worthwhile (for non pilots, that is :p)

I made a few changes on https://accret.io

• the main concept is the “experience”. An experience is flight + activities.
  • you search for experiences by entering your homebase. it will return activities available within 300nm. (hardcoded for now, tunable later)
  • you can refine your search by selecting/deselecting tags.
  • search results are displayed on a map (kudos to windy for opening up an api. skyvector would be nice but I talked to them briefly and pricing is a bit steep)
  • you can click on a result, see the “label” and decide to read more or not
  • if you want to read more you are redirected to a wiki-like page. it is missing comments for now, it is the next step if you want them
  • you can also share you own experience by using the button on the menu. experiences are published instantly by default this time

I probably broke the mobile formatting, so the website is best viewed on a laptop/tablet for now.

Any thoughts?

Last Edited by wleferrand at 07 Feb 21:11

I might be missing something but when trying I got nothing… Type homebase – basemap Windy moves to align with my homebase that’s it.

jfw
Belgium: EBGB (Grimbergen, Brussels) - EBNM (Namur), Belgium

@jfw there is very little content for now .. try searching for “Muret”, you should see a suggestion in Spain (this one: https://accret.io/experience/yqwjbmEBWkyKiktp5AMF)

Sign in to add your message