Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Choosing a base airfield

What happened to the “GA gate” at EDNY? There is a thread on it here somewhere.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Being based at EDNY I can say that it is a pretty fine airport in most respects. Our club apron is separated from the rest of the movement area by a sliding gate which security opens for inbound/outbound taxi when you call them on a dedicated radio frequency. You need an airport badge to access the hangar and the apron, but there is no security for you or your passengers. Passengers you bring onto the apron are supposed to be logged with their name/address and be given a temporary badge by the pilot, but forgetting about this is not unheard of…

My co-owned airplane lives in a round hangar at another part of the airfield. Direct access for us and our passengers as well there, no security checks, no hassles. If I’d pay for the privilege, l could even drive my car right up to the plane.

Security checks for crew and pax in the main terminal only applies to visiting aircraft, and that is pretty much standard procedure for any airports with scheduled traffic in Germany.

Last Edited by tschnell at 27 Feb 19:04
Friedrichshafen EDNY

I suppose it depends strongly what is important for each participants needs.

Someone who lives in the EU and Schengen area and therefore has access to a dozen countries without ever talking to customs or immigration will have next to no use for their homebase being a port of entry.

Someone flying VFR only does not need IFR and is usually happy with a daylight operation. Those who fly IFR clearly prefer an airfield which has good IFR infrastructure and day/night operating hours.

Anytime you need something, you will have to live with something you don’t like… and then it depends what you are willing to compromise.

I used to be based at LSZR before moving to ZRH, which was very nice at the time. I would gladly go back there but only if I got to live near it as well. If the drive from/to the airfield is more than the actual flying time, then it’s not viable for me.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

I used to be based at LSZR before moving to ZRH

LSZR looks great too. Sounds like it has the IFR infrastructure whilst being relatively small and easy to get around.

LFMD

jamiltz wrote:

LSZR looks great too. Sounds like it has the IFR infrastructure whilst being relatively small and easy to get around.

Yes it is a great airport which really fits all the points I mentioned. But from where I live it is a 70 min drive one way. Too long for me at the moment. Maybe once I retire and move away from Zurich towards my roots in eastern Switzerland, then it would be a no brainer to go back there!

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Someone who lives in the EU and Schengen area and therefore has access to a dozen countries without ever talking to customs or immigration will have next to no use for their homebase being a port of entry.

Unless they don’t want to visit the UK, Switzerland, Croatia, etc

I think far too few people have contributed to this thread, especially from the group based at bigger airports, who will tell you privately they are happy to pay the price for the facilities. And we have very few UK posters here anyway, so those based at “farm strips” who can come and go freely, internationally with the GAR form, and fly DIY approaches, are not represented too. OTOH the winter is pretty dead for people to think about GA too much

Administrator

those based at “farm strips” who can come and go freely, internationally with the GAR form, and fly DIY approaches

are there really people who do that?

But seriously, I imagine that having your own airfield is not exactly a bed of roses. The runway needs to be mown and/or rolled two or three times a year, otherwise visitors from Alaska may complain. And someone has to service the fuel bowser, and order deliveries from CYMA. And replace the windsock when it gets faded by sunshine or shredded by gales. And sweep up the owl droppings in the hangar. And make sure the deer all wear yellow hi-viz jackets. And sweep up the bits of clapped-out PA-34 which had an argument with a Sitka spruce tree (maybe the trees should wear hi-viz too). And give the red kites and buzzards a bollocking for flying in the pattern with no Mode C. And set the runway edge reflectors back up after the sheep push them over. And jump out and drive your own rescue truck every time you crash and burn. And explain to aviators from Wales that they can’t have much of a discount off a nil landing fee… No, frankly, I can’t believe anyone would put up with all that hassle.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Irony, especially when designed for the internet, and more so for an international forum, is an art form which needs to be practiced regularly in order to be executed “just right”

Administrator

I personally liked it very much at EDVE: IFR procedures, opening times from 7 to 22 during the week, 8 to 21 on weekends in summer, access to our hangar via separate gate without need for security and moderate landing fees. Relatively close to the city, next to the motorway, on the other side of the road where I used to work.

What was bad: Opening times in winter on weekends only 8 to 17:45 and PPR for any time extension was prohibitive expensive. And fuel was relatively expensive, compared to other fields around.

I always admired EDDV for the two figure PPR cost before 6 and after 22, because the airport is open as such 24h. But we figured out the hard way that private operations with pistons are forbidden during 23 and 5.

P19 EDFE EDVE EDDS

I am considering options for relocation of my aircraft and have an aspiration towards CBIR so interested in the ability to conduct instrument approached in due course. I would want to be able to fly to / from EU, but not to “carry goods”. I am not fussed about having lighting for night operations. Of the two options I am considering, one is licenced and has RNAV approach and the other unlicensed and has no formal approaches but costs 35 to 40% less per month. Both have 900m + asphalt runway. I would be interested in views with respect to advantages / disadvantages and the legality or otherwise of using self created RNAV type approaches and potential insurance implications if any.

ETGR, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message