Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Paris GA airports

Peter wrote:

A TB20 is suitable for grass but I won’t easily forget my £20k prop strike in 2002

Perhaps that puts it into the category of “not suitable” !!

I believe the 3 blade prop gives slightly more ground clearance and slightly better performance. Did you go for that? Or was it not an option in 2002?

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

I had a 3B prop. The problem is:

8" ground clearance (7" on a 2B prop)
3" front oleo compression
5" deep pothole!

And any half competent rabbit can dig a 5" pothole in the time you can drink a pint.

Ultimately the bottom line with grass is that you are on your own and the airport can (and will) wash its hands of any responsibility, which leads to a lot less care over the runway condition. It’s fine if you are renting; you just fly back home on a cheap airline and forget the plane. But we have done this before e.g. here here etc… Lots of owners are wary of grass. If we do a EuroGA fly-in to grass, a good 1/3 will cancel.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I also like Toussus LFPN : Hard runway, not so far from Paris by taxi or Uber, 100LL with bowser.
But don’t forget to read Notams : ATC use to be closed several days each month. These days Toussus is reserved for based aircrafts.
For example this month it is closed on march 5 and 14.

Also on this website for Toussus:

it forms part of a bold project to develop 21st century Paris, which was launched by the government in 2009

Shame keeping immigration there isn’t part of the plan!

EGTF, LFTF

I have written this before; I sense there is a total disconnect between economic activity and the “law enforcers” and there isn’t anybody who is high enough / powerful enough to bang heads together. In France, the police rarely attended anyway so this is a crippling of traffic for a purely symbolic reason. Loads of GA Brits would fly to Paris. It’s a highly popular location especially for the spouses. They are present at LFAT nowadays but that’s only for show because the current president has a house there; according to news reports they didn’t like standing outside his (unoccupied) house also and getting cold.

Administrator

@jfw, I suppose you will come from the North.
So take advantage of Pontoise TMA. Easy access and friendly service.
Then follow roughly this path (taken from a flight of mine, 11 in use at LFPZ) :

Just leave the pontoise TMA from below, so not to infringe Paris TMA.
So below 1500ft abeam Morainvilliers is good, then follow the motorway. You will see Paris in front of you. It is called North Entrance (of course if you speak French, use it )
For leaving, ask a North exit, and do the same the opposite way. My path after a departure in 11 :

These procedures are described in LFPZ VAC, but I suppose it’s easier to see it on a map.
LFPZ tower is friendly and efficient and speak English. Just be aware they have no radar and get really busy on weekends from April to October (July-Aug excluded), so turn your lights on and keep your eyes peeled.
You can see on the map how close Chavenay LFPZ is to LFPZ. This explains these procedures but don’t worry, people know them by heart there (very few unfamiliar traffic)

Last Edited by Jujupilote at 07 Mar 19:30
LFOU, France

Interestingly the site quotes Longues as still being available for “international flights”. I reckon they mean Schengen only?

Pity that not a single Paris GA airport retained Port of Entry Status.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

This was done before a few times

Administrator

I second Poitoise, lovely place and very friendly as well as being relatively inexpensive. I remember arriving very late one night (weather kept me late on the ground at Southampton) and was fearful of the costs. However not only was there no additional charge but as soon as I was parked the tower informed me they were closing and they had ordered a taxi for me which was waiting at the gate! How is that for service?

UK, United Kingdom

I am sometimes available to give a lift from LFPT. PM me the time of you arrival and I will see what I can do.

LFOU, France
Sign in to add your message