Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Clearance over London

Ibra wrote:

@Noe, LCY used to let sightseeing flights on microlights from Damyns Hall as long as they fly along Thames/their marina and crossing on top of their runway in superb VFR days but it seems more like a “grandfathered right/agreement” from the old days

Given how relaxed they were yesterday, I imagine lack of transponder (especially when Heathrow landing to the west) might be an issue to cross the airspace, but I would have imagined anyone would otherwise have a good shot at a transit.

It was on a modern light sport 3-axis fix-wing microlight with RT/transponder and “full glass cockpit” (CTSW/CTLS), I don’t think ATC will let flex-wing ones with hand-held radio go anywhere near

Good to know that they get pressure off when Heathrow are on 27

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

Good to know that they get pressure off when Heathrow are on 27

That’s just an assuption I am making, but I imagine it does make a difference

Aren’t they mostly on 27?

EGTF, LFTF

denopa wrote:

Aren’t they mostly on 27?

Yes but when on 09 I imagine they can relax a bit knowing that the likehood of loss of separation with an airline will be much less in the event you deviate from the instructions.

My guess is that there is one (or more) Heathrow Radar controllers who need some refresher training on what types may or may not fly through the zone. They often used to ask if you were a twin.

But it is the responsibility of the pilot to stay within the law. Controllers are waiters, not policemen. They are basically there to serve us, not to dob us in. An air traffic clearance does not absolve us from obeying the law.

Peter wrote:

This sort of thing is / used to be called NSF (non standard flight) and you apply for a permission. I don’t know any more details.

I do the NSF process every year, so can answer simple questions from a user’s point of view, if anyone likes.

EGKB Biggin Hill

A rather less common sight, snapped this morning:

EGKB Biggin Hill

VFR at 1500ft. Biggin to Turweston.

EGTK Oxford

I saw you T. while jogging along the Thames ;-)

EGTF, LFTF

denopa wrote:

I saw you T. while jogging along the Thames ;-)

Sorry, I didn’t spot you

EGKB Biggin Hill
Sign in to add your message