Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

To the end of the world and back

Congratulations once again!

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

You guys are great!!! Best wishes from your Airplane’s former homebase EDHK :-)

Thank you all! I‘ll try to paste my reports together (with Peter‘s help, hopefully), to make it a proper write-up. I‘ll also add a section about the planning etc. but this will take me a while.

What paperwork did Canada ask from you? The Northern VFR route used to require two ADFs, or one ADF and a LORAN, do they now accept a GPS?

No special paperwork is required, a fligh plan is sufficient. At least for IFR a GPS is fine so it should be for VFR as well, I don’t think an ADF is mandated. This is the relevant document (caution, link will break once a new version comes out). However, HF is mandatory exept for the very northern routes, to answer Adam‘s question. As everybody knows it‘s not very reliable though and clearances are given via VHF. Sat phone works great if you cannot get HF contact for whatever reason.

That is quite detailed planning for that leg to Horta. What sort of chart is that in the pic? Is it some sort of chart for north (?) atlantic routes?

It‘s called the North Atlantic Plotting Chart. It‘s Lambert projected and printed on a slightly heavier paper than other Jepp charts so you can draw on it. There is one more called Atlantic Orientation Chart where frequencies and the like can be found.

Do you have prop de-ice?

Yes, we have an electric hot prop. But no other de-icing.

EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

Quite an adventure ! As a Mooney fan I’d like to point out what an amazing aircraft the 252 is :-D

EBST, Belgium

What an amazing trip!

ESMK, Sweden

AMAZING trip, thank you very much for sharing. I fly the same type as you do and it just goes to show what can be done! Congratulations on a well executed trip and the experience of a lifetime.

EHTE, Netherlands

Hello to every one. What a great trip. Just amazing.

Thank you for posting this. Is the main reason I just register on EuroGA.

17 Posts
Sign in to add your message