Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Biggin Hill EGKB kicking out the flight schools...

Jujupilote wrote:

Go do a internship at KVNY TWR if you want to know how much light and heavy trafic can be blended.

Or do Oskosh during the Airsho. I don’t think they ever had a mid air either. Some GA pilots who seem to think that the circuit is the place where one can ignore anyone else might profit from some training there as well…. the chaos on some of the uncontrolled airfields is often quite scary. But I’d love to make it compulsory to send those who impose the ridiculous slot rubbish for Friedrichshafen for instance during the Aero there to see how it can and should be done. Mostly btw that would be regulators, the ATCO’s if left to their own judgement would easily be able to handle the traffic.

I remember my very memorable visit to some NY airport towers shortly before 2001… cool, relaxed atmosphere in the face of what most European ATC’s would think total chaos, the motivation and energy goes into handling traffic save, fast and expediciously. Of course they don’t suffer fools gladly because they can’t afford to, but it works, has for decades. European airports get their knickers in a twist over maybe 30% that traffic and rules put up by CYA lawyers at the CAA’s truncate at least 40-50 % of real capacity were the usually very competent ATCO’s left to do their job as they can. Obviously the attitude has by now also reached the towers as newbies are trained that way and of course the criminalisation of incidents and controllers does not help. In fact, I suppose in europe things may even get worse to the point where they will avoid to get two planes close to each other at all.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 08 Feb 11:30
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Bathman wrote:

I always thought it was a shame for the schools that they closed the crosswind runway at biggin hill.

Now, as of two days ago, officially redesignated as taxiways. E for the east of A4/J2/L2 and F to the west. This is not in the AIP, Jepp Plates or SD yet, but, unless my eyes were playing tricks, it is in Jepp SafeTaxi. There is also signage, at least at L2.

This morning, a lot of pilots were asking for clarification and the ATCO was explaining very patiently.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Snoopy wrote:

Absolutely. I have a video of a G5 Jet overtaking me on short final while landing at KVNY in a 172. It’s no problem!

It may be helpful to mention that KVNY has two parallel runways.

Jujupilote wrote:

Go do a internship at KVNY TWR if you want to know how much light and heavy trafic can be blended.

Absolutely. I have a video of a G5 Jet overtaking me on short final while landing at KVNY in a 172. It’s no problem!

always learning
LO__, Austria

I always thought it was a shame for the schools that they closed the crosswind runway at biggin hill.

I think, Rochester or Redhill or maybe Headcorn.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Do you know which airfields they now go to for circuits?

Biggin didn’t kick out the schools in the end. They “just” banned circuits, presumably due to the bizjet traffic, plus circuits generated a lot of noise complaints. So the schools fly to nearby airfields to do circuits.

Administrator

Does anyone know if this LAC will handle visiting GA ?

LFOU, France

Sounds like they are trying to tidy up the place, which always seemed to be half full of half bankrupt businesses (not to mention dodgy stuff like some hangarage company demanding they also do your maintenance) while starting one flying school so the profit goes to the airport.

Administrator
19 Posts
Sign in to add your message