Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Trip advice - Belgium/Flanders and a bit further south

Hi everyone,

I am picking up an older thread, now 4 years later, me and the same pilot friend will do another attempt to reach Belgium

The plan is to reach Kortrijk on Wednesday evening next week, if the WX permits. A nice high pressure area seems to move in from the UK. After a full day in the area (Thursday), we will try to reach LOWZ on Friday. The weather has never permitted me to fly there, but this time we have high hopes. We will probably stop for fuel and food in Koblenz. Then head back Saturday or Sunday.

Is Kortrijk still a good airport to fly to? There are no reports since 2020 in Peter’s database

Anything else that might have changed that we should be aware of?

Thanks in advance everyone, once again!

I landed at Kortrijk 6 weeks ago, but that was mainly for entering Schengen from the UK. For that, it is good.

23 Euro landing fee. Everything is automated there. You get no human interaction if you have nothing to do with police. The burger restaurant only does lunch hours.

Avgas self service with CC payment terminal at the pump. The runway is surrounded by dozens of older looking hangars, so lots of based aircraft there. But not a lot of visiting GA it seems. Nice sitting lounge though.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Thanks for sharing Bosco!

Do you happen to know how the price is for Avgas compared to Germany? I know it’s significantly higher in the Netherlands but unsure of Belgium.

At the time, it was 2.52, which, at the time, was just like the German average.
It is 2.90 now, but then the German average is now also about 2.70.
Rendsburg is currently still 2.38, which would a good stop for you. Helgoland is still a bit lower at 2.19. Everywhere else is higher. After all, it‘s expensive everywhere now, and in the context of a trip, the exact Avgas price doesn‘t play a roll.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 19 May 20:03

Indeed, it is expensive and unless the difference is significant it won’t matter.

Thanks for the advice to stop for fuel. We did have EDHL in mind, usually quick and nice service when I’ve been there.

Last Edited by martin-esmi at 19 May 20:20

Keep in mind EDHL is now an airline airport again. So the „quick and nice“ isn‘t so much any more. I will be departing EDHL on Sunday, heading for the Adriatic.

If you fly to the south of Belgium,you have EBSH which is a nice airfield,with very nice people,with renting bicycles,but in the middle of nowhere,really scenic views.
Otherwize Namur (EBNM) and Charleri (EBCI (IFR flights and very expensive)

LFDU, Belgium

I just want to share that we did make it to Kortrijk, finally, with a nice stop in Koblenz on our way there. I will try to do a write up in the near future.

Thanks again for the advice, EDRK and EBKT were nice airports. EBKT was very quiet, super nice terminal building, but without a soul there. The airport will send us an invoice for the landing and parking fee. The walk up to the EDRK from Winningen train station was.. interesting hehe.

Kortrijk was nice and Ieper (Ypres) with surroundings even better. We did a nice 50km ride visiting the sites on rented (heavy) bikes

38 Posts
Sign in to add your message