Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How to avoid high handling charges in Spain

Beeing on the Aero at Friedrichshafen yesterday we visited the guy of AOPA Spain. He offered us a very useful and handy guideline to avoid high handling fees at spanish airports. I made 2 photos of the instructions. It might help.

EDDS , Germany

Indeed; a very useful post.

However, this was raised for the fly-in to Menorca, and all that happened was that most of the handlers did not reply to communications The only one which did did so reluctantly and grudgingly, and loaded up some other “airport” charges. It’s a bit like when (IIRC – may have been another country) Ireland joined the EU, they had to abandon their huge import duty on cars, so they imposed a “registration charge”.

To make this work well, one would need a large scale legal or regulatory action, to force every airport in Spain to publish a price list which has the No Handling option.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

What the about the “Screening fee” they charge you (60€) in Ibiza?
If you are four people →240€ for passing through security and x-ray.

Don't get too slow
LECU, Spain

@speed I think that is a good example of another airport charge that’s being loaded up there. Obviously security cannot be optional. I asked the Q to the AOPA Spain rep at AERO and he assumed that this charge can be avoided but frankly i don’t think so. By the way, it’s actually 72 euros per person incl VAT, and the same flying out, so here you go, 576 euros just for starters..

Last Edited by aart at 25 Apr 19:23
Private field, Mallorca, Spain

For that reason I had canceled my Ibiza trip in June. I paid in the 80ies somehow around 1000 ptas for landing and 4 weeks parking, in 2015 already 250 (1 week), in 2016 it was raised to 350 and then it accelerated: 500 in June 2017 and 900 in September 2017 – allways 2 person on board.
I suspected now 1400 for June and in September 2018 may be 2200 …who knows.

Definitely the fault of the DJs: they just pay for their CJs….. I am wondering wether Niki Lauda also just pays or moans as we do??

Andreas

EDFV, Germany

@dukedriver how much of the €900 bill was “handling”?

This may be relevant in the future.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The handler was Ibizair, they charged 130,- netto +VAT for the handling.
In addition they charged 85,- for push back (a trap created by follow me: they bring you against a read line which you are not supposed to cross and then you need push-back to turn the plane 180 degrees)
In addition they charged a fee of 5% of all other fees (which is acceptable as they have the work and the movement on their accounts)

What I do not accept: those 60 per person per direction for screening + VAT !!
If AENA would reduce their landing and parking fees to where they were 3 years ago, it would be ok, and Guardia Civil would do the screening again for free (we all pay taxes into EU!!)

I would accept up to 400,- in total … but 250,- would be great.

Germany

After the magazine “Ibiza Heute” had an article regarding those crazy fees in their 09/2018 issue, the screening is for free for planes up to 3.5 tons (DJs may still pay when arriving in their CJs :-)
I planned now for this Season to go again by my Duke .. we will see what happens.

EDFV, Germany

That is good news, Have you been able to confirm it?

Antonio
LESB, Spain

I’ve seen recent (<1yr) reports on other forums that San Sebastian LESO is relatively uncomplicated and not too expensive for SEP/MEP, especially to/from Schengen countries. Handling in the order of €10. Apparently parking space is limited to 6 aircraft, so reservation of a spot should be made via email.

LSZK, Switzerland
11 Posts
Sign in to add your message