Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying to Kastelorizo LGKJ

Would anyone be interested in doing the most remote Greek island of them all?

There is no fuel there and of course no customs/immigration, so with Rhodes having been “fraported” I would probably go via Sitia LGST, having flown there via Croatia. That’s assuming the respective timetables for LGST and LGKJ overlap

B.FROM 01/06 TILL 30/09
MON,WED,FRI,SAT 1400-1545
TUE 0900-1745
THU 0300-0445 0700-2015
SUN 0500-0815 1200-1500

B.FROM 01/06 TILL 30/09
MON,TUE,WED,SAT 0300-0900
FRI,SUN 0300-0630
THU CLOSED

It looks possible only to go there on Sunday and return on Tuesday.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

That’s a long way!

EGBE (COVENTRY, UK)

I would.
Kastelorizo is a majestic place.
Last flight we did there in 2006 with 14 aircraft for the sun’s eclipse.
http://hellasga.com/gallery/kyp/lgkj

Peter wrote:

It looks possible only on Sunday which is a real bugger! A €300 (x2) contribution to the N European economy (via Rhodes) might be unavoidable

Why not enter/refuel and refuel/exit via Athens LGAV ?
Its an H24 full services capital airport very accommodating to VFR & IFR GA.
A tech. stop there is not more than 100 Euro.

In the past people avoided it as being the most expensive.
All this changed when FRAPORT took over the operation of the other 14 airports.
The cost builds up there though once you park for a week or so and you disembark from airside to landside.
For airside op’s only, its surprisingly cheap for its type/size of airport.

LGMG Megara, Greece

I edited my post after your reply Kyp. Reading the timetables properly, it appears possible Sunday to Tuesday (2 nights).

Good point about LGAV. It is just the distance of some 700nm plus two takeoffs. If you get a strong headwind (quite likely on the way back) that will eat into the fuel. This is the only route which AR comes up with, so perhaps VFR is a better option

Administrator

I would love to, but G-NODE is currently grounded, so would have to be either with someone else, or in the autumn.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Realistically I think we will have a EuroGA fly-in to somewhere nice in September (somebody ought to start a fresh thread on that) and the diehards could go down to Greece on the back of that.

I am not going to propose doing Greece as the main EuroGA fly-in We need to keep those as inclusive as possible.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

This is the only route which AR comes up with, so perhaps VFR is a better option

From EuroFPL, 307 nm
LGAV VARIX L995 RDS M601 EXELA LGKJ

LGMG Megara, Greece

Peter wrote:

This is the only route which AR comes up with, so perhaps VFR is a better option

When I tried AR it gave me the same route that Petakas got from EuroFPL. Strange…

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

OK, 2×300nm is fine for the TB20 even with a big headwind on one leg, and there is always Syros LGSO for avgas, with the following timetable which I won’t get into right this minute because it changes part way through September

B.FROM 01/06 TILL 14/06 AND FROM 10/09 TILL 27/10
MON,TUE,WED,THU,FRI 0545-1100
SAT 0345-0845
SUN 1100-1500
C.FROM 15/06 TILL 09/09
MON 0715-1300
TUE,THU 0600-1100
WED 0545-1045
FRI,SAT 0330-0845
SUN 0900-1415
NOTES:
1.ON 08/04 SUN CLOSED
2.ON 25/05 FRI 0330-0500 0930-1230
3.ON 28/05 MON 0730-1200
4.FROM 25/07 TILL 05/09 WED 0330-0845.

The Sep 2018 fly-in ideas thread is here.

Can one do day trips out of Kastelorizo, to Turkey?

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Can one do day trips out of Kastelorizo, to Turkey?

Well this might be another thread of its own but I’ll post the details anyway.

Well, even though you are half a mile from the border of European Union …
1. You need to exit Greece (EU) via port of Entry which inevitably brings you to one of the eastern Aegean Fraports (some 300 Euro) since Kastelorizo LGKJ is not port of entry.
2. You need to land first at a port of entry in Turkey, some ~700 Euro total cost (Dalaman LTBS, Bodrum LTFE, Izmir LTBJ)
3. ECAC member state aircraft registrations are exempted from Turkey’s prior FLIGHT PERMIT. You just need an entry in FPL remarks as stated in No. 3 paragraph here and FPL filed at least three hours before departure.
4. For non ECAC member state aircraft registrations (i.e. N’reg) you need prior FLIGHT PERMIT via here
Flight Permit must be specified in the FPL remarks. Offcourse their handlers can take care of this but at a great cost.
5. Entry/Exit of cross border flights must take place between established IFR waypoints between LGGG & LTBB FIRs like BENEM west of Kastelorizo with appropriate EET/ time in FPL remarks.

For shortcut use of LTBB FIR i.e. to fly from NW Aegean to the southeast (like the route Autorouter suggested you) VFR or IFR theoretically there is no issue since you are transit but I have no recollection of pilots’ feedback from people who have done it if they have done it. The trouble there will be if something happens and you end up landing in Turkey without FLIGHT PERMIT.

In any case, you monitor 121.50 on box 2 just in case you happen to lose contact with ATC or fly from somewhere you are not supposed to. This is where either side will call you if they do not know at which frequency you are tuned at. Both MIL & CIV ATC will call you because both countries absolutely need each aircraft in that area to be positively identified and in radio contact even if VFR (apart from the filed FPL which is the typical part).

LGMG Megara, Greece
168 Posts
Sign in to add your message