Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying to Kastelorizo LGKJ

Peter wrote:

Your best bet for Egypt is probably Sitia LGST.

Yes Sitia LGST is best for this case. Has fuel and can act as port of entry on request via the handler. Check their operation hours in LGST NOTAMs.
Charges for a week or so with handling and customs should not cost more than ~130 Euro standard prices or 80 Euro with AOPA discount + some 12 or so per passenger.
All details are in the AOPA page Peter referred you.

LGMG Megara, Greece

Kastelorizo was our second home for many years.. but thats one big ol flight.

plenty of fishermen go back and forth to Kas, and customs are very " obliging" dont miss the blue grotto..

Currently Ioannina LGIO has both 100LL and Jet A1 and it’s a port of entry. That makes it an interesting fuel stop arriving from Europe mainland.

Yes, you just need to have your passport with you.

And Turkish visa which can be obtained online.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Might just do LGST – LGKP – LGKJ and skip LGKS because there isn’t much there. Also, Karpathos LGKP has wide opening hours which makes the timetables much more workable, versus LGST and LGKJ.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

One of many videos. This one is quite good drone footage, somewhat over-saturated but that’s fashionable these days

It looks like we will get a reasonable group going down there…

I am looking at doing it backwards i.e. UK – Elba – Croatia – Sitia – Kastelorizo – Karpathos – Dubrovnik – ??? – UK. However that brings up the issue of the airport timetable alignment for a flight Sitia – Kastelorizo which is possible only on a Sunday or Tuesday.

Administrator

For those interested in a meet-up on Kastelorizo, this is my provisional timetable. It is the weekend after the Elba meet-up

We should get a good group of local pilots too

I have checked the timetables but not 200% yet. I also need to check the slot situation for LGST, LGKP and LGIO given that all of these can be VFR arrivals.

EDIT: Samos LGSM has been replaced with Ionina LGIO, which reduces the contribution to Fraport by several hundred €

Administrator

Peter wrote:

EDIT: Samos LGSM has been replaced with Ionina LGIO, which reduces the contribution to Fraport by several hundred €

Wise choice on CAA Ioannina LGIO which provides AVGAS & JETA1 and is port of entry/exit. Its not only the costs. Ioannina is more on your general direction towards northwest in comparison to Samos.
Also Samos is packed with charter traffic all summer long while Ioannina is busy in the summer but not THAT busy.

On Monday the “morning shifts” are

• Kastelorizo is open 0300z(0600L) until 0900z(1200L) and
  • Ioannina is open 0625z(0925L) until 1200z(1500L) respectively

so you get what you need.

LGMG Megara, Greece

This whole trip totally avoids the €€€€fraport airports

However, LGST LGKP and LGIO are subject to Greek slots (even though they are not €€€€fraported). Does anyone know from experience whether the slot (€50, plus you have to apply for it and wait for the confirmation, plus you pay another €50 whenever you need to change the arrival time) can be avoided, by arriving VFR (V or Y flight plan)?

Conventional wisdom says you don’t need the slot for a VFR arrival, but the outfit at Samos LGSM, through which I passed Sep 2017, told me everything needs one.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

but the outfit at Samos LGSM, through which I passed Sep 2017, told me everything needs one.

When you went there last year, were you on an I FPL which you canceled to VFR when arriving or were you on a Y FPL and ATC asked you when ready to cancel ?
I’m asking because, naturally, there is fundamental difference in regards to SLOT in these two separate cases.

If it was I FPL, did you cancel IFR to VFR and tower handled you onwards as a VFR traffic or declared “visual” and continued with the visual (circling) approach (without requesting to cancel IFR) ?

LGMG Megara, Greece

Unfortunately I can’t remember how exactly the ATC dialogue went (the flight was certainly IFR most of the way there) but my post above was based on a conversation I had with them when I specifically asked about VFR.

A visual approach is IFR so that would not help. It would have to be (potentially, if this works at all) one of

• V flight plan
  • Y flight plan
  • I flight plan and IFR formally cancelled with ATC (I doubt that one would work because they don’t know you will be cancelling IFR)
Administrator
Sign in to add your message