Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying to Kastelorizo LGKJ

So it looks like I’m going to miss you guys and girls on your group trip by literally a few days since, as mentioned in an earlier newbie forumite post, I’m also hoping to fly to Kastellorizo in stages from Denham in my C182, but arriving at the end of September.

My outbound route at the moment looks something like Denham – Salzburg (IFR), Salzburg – Portoroz (IFR), Portoroz – Ioannina (IFR), then VFR to Sitia, then VFR to Kastellorizo.

Very interested to keep in touch with this thread! Nice to know I’m not entirely solo in having this (crazy?) ambition. I had been put off by the whole Fraport rip-off and was thinking of not going, but I believe this route avoids that and allows me to pick up Avgas in Greece (at Ioannina and Sitia). Though airport timings are another headache.

Picking up on an earlier post, does filing VFR avoid the slot issue? And does Ioannina require a slot (since I’m expecting to arrive IFR)?

Greece is a stunning country and I love the people (and food) – I’m determined to make this work but the bureaucrats sure don’t make it easy!

I will be watching this thread as it evolves…very helpful. Thanks.

United Kingdom

does filing VFR avoid the slot issue?

Yes it avoids it.

Greece is a stunning country and I love the people (and food) – I’m determined to make this work but the bureaucrats sure don’t make it easy!

Agreed 100%

Perhaps we might see you on another EuroGA meet-up? We do the two main ones each year plus a few smaller ones in between. Plus of course the obligatory ones to Le Touquet

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks Peter. Definitely up for a EuroGA meet-up next time round!

If arriving at Ioannina IFR (from Slovenia in my case) do you know if they require a slot?

United Kingdom

The definitive bible on Greek flying, regularly updated by someone I know, is here

https://www.aopa.gr/en/flying-in-greece

Search for LGIO. No slots required. LGST needs a slot (which is totally bizzare, but hey…) but only for IFR.

Administrator

Fantastic resource – and bang up to date. Thanks.

United Kingdom

Be very cautious or abandon if the wind is >10kts from 300* to 030*.

LGGG

Does LGKJ report weather?

10kt is pretty low. What aircraft type would that apply to?

Administrator

Peter,the topography is such that strong unexpected rotors develop on final of Rwy 31.On the exact right of this rwy there is a shaved hill BUT the whole island is engulfed within high Turkish mountains.Even the daily Dash of Olympic takes special precautions.Morning arrivals are safer.Call the AFISO before for a wind report.I was with a full loaded C172.(6 times)

LGGG

What are the special precautions?

The airport is open mostly only very early in the morning anyway:

FROM 01/06 TILL 30/09
MON,TUE,WED,SAT 0300-0900
FRI,SUN 0300-0630
THU CLOSED

Administrator

Peter wrote:

10kt is pretty low. What aircraft type would that apply to?

When you see a restriction like that, it is a safe bet that it is not the wind as such that is the problem but rather secondary effects such as windshear, downdrafts, severe turbulence, rotors…

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message