Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying to Kastelorizo LGKJ

Peter wrote:

Well, I have to put some of the mp4s on a USB SSD and if that packs up I will lose some of them.

Look around in the village there if there is any IT shop where they may be selling USB sticks or SSDs. You never know.

LGMG Megara, Greece

Enroute to LGKJ around 0430 UTC, 6000ft

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I took some video landing at Kastelorizo LGKJ but won’t be able to process it until I get home.

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

chrisparker wrote:

I took some video landing at Kastelorizo LGKJ but won’t be able to process it until I get home.

Welcome to the far edge of Greece ! Just to give you an idea, only the first two islets you see here are Hellenic territory.

The borderline. (from @atmilatos ’s portal )

Last Edited by petakas at 14 Sep 11:18
LGMG Megara, Greece

This morning was a worry, with a huge TS over Kastelorizo when I woke up 0130 UTC, but it started to fizzle out and disappeared by the time I was arriving

It looked like the last and most desirable leg of this trip would have to be cancelled. No chance of going back to LGST (closed 1hr after us departing), Rhodes LGRP with a ~€400 fraport hit was one option, or staying at LGKP for another night, hopefully not in the sh1tty hotel we had 2 nights in. I am sure there must be a software tool where you can enter things like airport opening times, flight times, and it can show the what-if options.

I am not doing this complicated trip again, but then I have the luxury of Justine and I having done much of Greek islands in the pre-fraport days; in fact altogether in more relaxed days. It would be great to see Syros become a port of entry, and notably Kithira is one now and can be done from Dubrovnik in a plane with a decent range (there is no fuel there).

The whole island, with Turkey behind, and the runway in the middle of it – raw pic out of the camera

I had to leave a piece of the wing there to prove it’s authentic

Administrator

Peter wrote:

hopefully not in the sh1tty hotel we had 2 nights in. I am sure there must be a software tool where you can enter things like airport opening times, flight times, and it can show the what-if options.

Peter we choose the hotels we book in. Really cheap prices are always a clue. Not saying its your fault but just to be aware.

The idea of such a software has been circulated around pilots in Greece (once we discussed it with @atmilatos ) but there are so many variables that all gave up before inception phase.
You have some 30 or so airports whose complicated hours of operation are posted in NOTAMs and they have large variations per day of week, per month and some have variations for just few specific days in a month where they have different times. It would involve a lot of manual work to input them plus monitor often all their notam’s for changes if this were a flight planning tool. An automatic fetching way was considered but it proved impossible.
Not many people wake up thinking “where can I fly today in 1 hr from my departure airport departing at 9am?”. The majority wants to fly from A to B on a specific date & time and hence they check the NOTAMs for A, B and En Route for the date(s) of the flight(s).

LGMG Megara, Greece

Karpathos was showing few hotels available and we went for a non cheap one. However it is not unusual to find a bad room in a larger hotel, especially in the less prosperous parts of the world. Small places are usually a lot better.

I would also say that small Greek island trips are indeed planned around the airport schedules primarily, both in the days of the week and in the order of multiple airports. And if you have to delay due to wx the whole plan goes to **** I think entering the timetable manually would be fine.

Administrator

For the record, dropping my wife off at LGRP Rhodes this morning cost €249 with AOPA membership.

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

Well done for getting there both of you! Fantastic stuff – and the pix look great. Looking forward to seeing more…?

Were the winds any kind of an issue at Kastelorizo? I’d read they can get a bit unpleasant with potential rotor turbulence spilling down from the rock.

Re airport times, I’ll be spending this evening juggling a load of them here in London as I put the final touches to my schedule for the trip to Kithira. It’s a Rubik’s Cube of fun. Not. But I take Petakas’ point that an automated system would be both complicated and very much a minority interest.

United Kingdom

I have about 600 pics so far, mostly in RAW, so have some work to do in lightroom when I get home. I could do them now but don’t want to sit in the apartment all night Same for movie editing. I have the latest Vegas on my laptop here but that work takes ages… I might knock out a few interesting bits though.

The winds tend to be low early mornings hence the opening times.

You can do Kithira from Dubrovnik, or Ioanina.

It is our (Justine and I) 15th anniversary tomorrow and this is a great place for it. We have had many of them on a Greek island

Administrator
Sign in to add your message