Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying to Kastelorizo LGKJ

And Kastelorizo itself? Worth going all that way?

Just for the sheer adventure it was going to be my original destination but I then decided to changed to Kithira which looked like it had much more going on (though also untouristy). With Kastelorizo it looked like you get the very pretty port…and that was about it! But maybe I’m wrong?

United Kingdom

Yes it was worth doing. Whether it is worth it depends on what value one attaches to visiting special places. I went there with Justine (she did the LGST-LGKP-LGKJ routes) so it was a holiday for the two of us.

Kastelorizo is only a small place but is a million times better than the burger-run watering holes most people fly to, to eat the UK (or other) airport “food” Actually the standards there were very good. Great food, a great apartment, and (as is usual for Greece, once away from Corfu ) really friendly people.

Kithira is very nice too. It is of course a lot bigger and has some really scenic places. We flew there in 2011 – an easy trip from Corfu. Today, to avoid the 2x 300 quid fraport charge, one would fly via Ioanina instead, although a TB20 can do LDDU-LGKC-LDDU without a refuel at LGKC.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

A very rare and picturesque city of 20.000,now 200.Read history about what happened in 1944.
Once,transit port for markets between Orient and West.Then conquered by French,Italians,Germans,English.Served as Imperial Airways transit base for its amphibians flying to Africa or Australia.Italian amphib Capronis also stationed there.Population mass moved to Australia after an English bombing that razed their homes.Unique architecture reflecting the wealthy gusto of its marine merchants.I repeatedly visited and never bored.

LGGG

There are different stories on who exactly bombed what and when (in WW2), which I will leave to others to research since people from all of the countries are active here and WW2 remains a sensitive topic in some departments

According to the local museum, the population peaked at something over 10k. Now it is about 250.

It is indeed a very sad story, especially when one realises that the hillsides above the town were once covered in houses and some 90% of these are now just piles of rubble, mostly disappearing under vegetation.

Administrator

The TB20 shadow on the Ioanina landing picture is simply great ( in the parking lot ) – I bet not all have seen it because one always looks at the runway first

EDxx, Germany

@petakas the Ozi log is clean:

Administrator

Peter wrote:

the Ozi log is clean:

Then it was a Flightradar24 thing switching between distant MLAT sources.

LGMG Megara, Greece

What is curious is that FR24 didn’t pick up the LGST-LGKP and LGKP-LGKJ flights at all. They were 7000 squawk and VFR FP but FR24 shows me pretty well doing a local out of EGKA with 7000. I suppose there isn’t a whole lot of monitoring in that remote corner of the universe

Administrator

Peter wrote:

I suppose there isn’t a whole lot of monitoring in that remote corner of the universe

True.

LGMG Megara, Greece

Bit off topic but Peter can I confirm you (almost) always find the prop disappears in photos at 1/80 and f22? We’re hoping to get some nice pix en route to Kithira next week and so any advice (or a link?) would be greatly appreciated!

United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message