Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying to Kastelorizo LGKJ

Thinking more generally, if one day we did another fly-in to Greece, it would obviously not be to a location like LGKJ which is hard on timetables alone. I am sure most prospective flyers would take one look at this and just forget it. They prob99 won’t say it openly but that will be the end result. Even for Greeks LGKJ is complicated, which contributed to the zero Greek turnout. We would have to do a simpler well defined job like Ioanina – Milos – Ioanina, or better still Dubrovnik – Kithira – Dubrovnik. Kithira is a beautiful destination.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Last wild goat was Kithira 2011

Definitely organic, free range, and free of antibiotics. Normally we don’t eat meat; this was a rare exception

Kataifi

Evening sun always looks better

Apparently this runs win95. I wonder if the gyro stabilised gun on the front of it has an IP address

They are really busy here

The blue cave

Chris departing this morning for LGIO. My turn tomorrow, 0400 UTC!

Administrator

Ioanina

No avgas left. Got 225 litres, enough for Brac.

I emptied their bowser. They have more but would take time. I got 225 litres instead of 240. Very efficient, took me right past incredulous airline passengers waiting for theirs. Best service ever in Greece and possibly anywhere.

Administrator

I was following you all morning through FlightRadar and kept wondering why you chose to take the VERY mountainous route while you could choose via IXONI IFR or even via Nafpaktos-Agrinion-Arta VFR routes.
Astonished of what I hear for Ioannina.During my past 25year career in the area,I hadnt even tried to land there after reports that the then Soviet administration was completely hostile and uncollaborating with anything except the daily OA flight.

LGGG

Do they often actually run out of AVGAS at Ioannina? I’ll be there in two weeks and will definitely need some!

United Kingdom

They have a big tank but the bowser holds only a few hundred litres.

On Brac

Administrator

A few stills from today’s video camera footage

Kastelorizo departure

Spot this one

and this one

Ioanina landing

Administrator

Astypalea and the Corinth Canal?

ESME, ESMS

@Peter did you indeed turn northeast after Corinth (KOR NDB) and then onwards northwest for Ioannina or is the track displayed this way due to MLAT ?

LGMG Megara, Greece

I will look later; I have the Oziexplorer GPS track. I’ve had two extremely busy days

LGKJ-LGIO 3.5hrs 0400UTC start, almost no sleep previous night due to a boat trip to Kas in Turkey which returned 1130L (a bad idea; the place is a tourist dump anyway).
LGIO-LDSB 2hrs uneventful
LDSB-EGKA not quite uneventful; the TKS got a very thorough test over the Alps at FL160 / -5C, eventually diverting (due to headwind) to Colmar for a refuel (phoned the police there to ask if they want to meet us; they said no – having a French speaker passenger probably helped), then an uneventful flight to EGKA. Total about 7.5hrs; up to 35kt headwind. The pics of the ice on the unprotected surfaces are quite interesting

Just finished lightroom-processing the Pentax DSLR pics (~550), and have more from the phone to do. Then many happy hours editing the ~500GB of video footage

A great video coming out of LGKJ into the sunrise.

A great trip. Two of us (Chris Parker in his Bonanza, and me) made it all the way down there. I managed to avoid the fraport money skimming scheme too, without compromising any of the planning. LGIO is really excellent and together with LGST these two make great bases for Greek flying.

All flights on this trip went to schedule; none cancelled, or delayed due to wx – until the last where we stopped for fuel.

EGKA-LIRJ
LIRJ-LDSB
LDSB-LGST
LGST-LGKP
LGKP-LGKJ
LGKJ-LGIO
LGIO-LDSB
LDSB-LFGA
LFGA-EGKA

You do need AOPA (US AOPA is OK for this) membership; not having it will turn €50 into €100 which soon adds up if vising multiple airports.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message