Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying to Kastelorizo LGKJ

Here’s a quick and dirty video of the early morning flight Karpathos to Kastelorizo

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Some more of Kastelorizo:

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

On the way from Sitia to Karpathos, Chris and I got some pics of each others’ planes

The first I have in hi-res but the 2nd I have only a low-res version right now.

One day I will paint the TKS filler door…

Is there anyone here who is a photoshop expert and can retouch the reflection in this great pic? I have it as a 40MB DNG, or jpeg.

Turkey is in top right corner.

They do not allow you to land if there is another aircraft parked on the apron! Well, apparently this applies to the commercial one being parked there. I had to fly around until he departed

This one came out better, after cropping

This is 1/80 F22 to make the prop go away (Pentax K1 24-70 f2.8)

Administrator

One of the issues in Greece is that most of the published emails are either not read, or they bounce back. It doesn’t matter whether you get them from the handler’s official contact document or from the CAA document.

One can spend hours digging out email addresses… in the end one can try phoning them, but there is no record of any permission. It usually works (that’s what happened at Karpathos – Goldair and the CAA were never contactable – but fortunately I was able to phone the CAA and when Goldair turned up after I landed and started saying that I didn’t have permission to land there, I told them the CAA told me “we have your flight plan, you can fly here” and they went away) but I would not try it at Corfu LGKR which has some old history of denying a landing clearance following “PPR by phone”. But then few will fly to LGKR anyway, following the takeover and the 10x price hike.

Administrator

Use Android and this app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nll.acr

Automatically backed up to Dropbox.

ESME, ESMS

In my experience, Goldair email addresses do work rather well (whether they reply is another story. Local HCAA addresses sometimes don’t work.

It’s all pretty much third world. But other countries in southern Europe aren’t much better with email communication.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Well, yes. But some of this is “known” e.g. Spain almost never replies, so you just fly. Most of the “PNR” ones never reply too eg. all the French PNR-customs airports. But when you get to the places with a more strict appearance, or like the Greek handling where they double the charge if they don’t get the 24hr notice, one tries to get through in a more definitive way.

BTW, comparing Chris’s and my invoices from Goldair, I pay about 5x more on the landing fee, due to being N-reg. The difference is not a lot in absolute terms (c. 20 quid) but it has been in place since for ever. It would be a problem if the landing was say €50, because 5x that would be €200 more.

Dimme – a good find, but it won’t help if someone denies a landing clearance. All one can do then is a Mayday, citing low oil pressure

Administrator

@Peter I would play the recording over the radio. A fuel emergency is also a very possible scenario.

ESME, ESMS

Yes, but a fuel emergency is a pilot error

Administrator

VFR you don’t need an alternate. If you don’t get a landing clearance and the aerodrome is isolated you cannot return. Thus fuel emergency.

ESME, ESMS
Sign in to add your message