Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying to Kastelorizo LGKJ

Funny thing is that I did actually record the sound track for the last video’s two flights. I’ve just found the mp3. Normally I don’t record audio if there are passengers but on this occassion there was nobody.

The problem with incorporating the ATC sound track is that you get a lot of footage which has to be incorporated just because there is talking there, and the video likely shows nothing. Especially if flying between Greek islands when 99% of the time there is nothing to see. So the video would have been much longer.

The report is now finished

http://peter2000.co.uk/aviation/elba-greece/

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

This is the last video for this trip.
Kastelorizo LGKJ to Ioanina LGIO (fuel stop) to Brac LDSB.
Spectacular 0400 UTC sunrise departure from Kastelorizo.
A good sound track too

The original file is 20mbps (1.8GB) and you can download it from Vimeo. I have been playing with Vegas v16 which does object tracking so you can anchor e.g. text to something in the scene. I did that in a couple of places; not too well…

Administrator

Karpathos LGKP to Kastelorizo LGKJ. The landing on this little island is pretty spectacular

I am running out of sound tracks

Administrator

Next absolutely gripping instalment of this epic expedition to the furthest SE corner of “Europe”

Sitia LGST to Karpathos LGKP

Administrator

And here is next one – Brac to Sitia, Crete

Administrator

Video Shoreham to Elba

Video Elba to Brac, across Italy.

Administrator

Exceptional writing as usual. I read it last night but I guess I have to read the rest today ;)

ESME, ESMS

Writeup all done, except the videos which will take a few days

Administrator

Fantastic write-up (as always) Peter! Fascinatingly familiar too, since I flew quite a large part of your route (though to Sitia/Kythira and Ioannina) just a couple of weeks after you. Like you I managed to avoid any IFR slot payment at Sitia, although I nearly broke my wheels on their crazy tie-down hooks. Kythira (as you know) is simply stunning and Ioannina is a massive recommend, just a beautiful, untouristy and delightful city with its stunning location on the lake (and a particularly “interesting” instrument approach too!).

I gave up trying all those dud CAA email addresses and took the coward’s way out, contacting the handlers (Skyserv in every case) to do the legwork for me regarding PPR etc. Most of the time I found Greek ATC to be very helpful, though they were awfully keen on endless position reports on the two occasions when I flew VFR. They did however route me through a very complex military exercise between Sitia and Kythira when – quite unprofessionally, on my part – I explained that I had come 1700 nm all the way from the UK to see the beautiful Aegean islands from the air and might they possibly grant me a corridor between all the gunboats and the jets just this once? Which they duly and generously did, resulting in a fantastic low-level tour of some of these island gems.

Anyway, great report, great photos and thanks. I found this site to be a real boon in planning my trip. There’s nothing quite like it anywhere else on the web.

United Kingdom

Kastelorizo was our second home for many years.. but thats one big ol flight.
plenty of fishermen go back and forth to Kas, and customs are very " obliging" dont miss the blue grotto..

@fuzzflyer I have a rough cut of the Kastelorizo writeup here and there are some pics of the island there. Still have the videos to do…

Administrator
168 Posts
Sign in to add your message