Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flims (Mollis) LSMF

Hello,
contact this guys, we have frequently flights to from Biggin so it is not impossible. About pricing i have no idea.

http://www.linthairservice.com/Activities/support.htm

Regards

Another advantage to St Gallen is that if it is fogged in (which does happen), Friedrichshafen as an alternate is just across the lake with, surprisingly, often better wx. A slightly (30’) longer drive in that case and a border crossing, but that is not really a hindrance.

LSZK, Switzerland

Timothy wrote:

But St Gallen is a much more reliable destination, IFR on the lake compared to VFR in the mountains?

Yes. St. Gallen is a very easy place to fly to expect in some wind situations, but it is fully IFR. They do have car rental at the terminal.

Samedan is purely VFR and VERY expensive too. They also can arrange car rental I believe.

For a trip planned ahead of time, Altenrhein/St.Gallen would be my clear favorite. Driving from there to Flims is about one hour and 20 minutes or so, but most of it is motorway through a rather scenic area. If you want you can make a stop in Liechtenstein even or in Heidiland (the area where the Heidi novel is set is just off the motorway about half ways).

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

But St Gallen is a much more reliable destination, IFR on the lake compared to VFR in the mountains?

I would also guess that car rental will be easier at St Gallen. I’ve done that before (to my cost, as I was going to Bregenz, and the first person to mention that I wasn’t allowed to take the hire car into Austria was the border guard :-(

EGKB Biggin Hill

No, they weren’t typos. I used map.search.ch because it is the most referenced Swiss web site for routing and and I just trust its results more than Google Maps. Take your pick. But you are correct map.search.ch times are based on the current highway conditions (construction, weather) and traffic at time of query, for both routes.

LSZK, Switzerland

chflyer wrote:

Again, per map.search.ch 93km/1hr58

Google Maps says (road maps below for anybody who might be interested)

Samedan is 93 km/1 hr 38 minutes to Flims across Julierpass (I’m guessing the longer time quoted by chflyer may have been a typo)

St Gallen (Altenrhein) is 107 km/1 hr 07 minutes to Flims on the Autoroute (1 hr 18 minutes quoted by chflyer must include some traffic delay, not much traffic as I write on Sunday afternoon local time)

If it were summer, I’d rather ride across the pass for the scenery, but that’s just me… I’ve probably done it 30 times for fun, without any particular destination on either side!

Last Edited by Silvaire at 06 May 14:50

I have to agree. Altenrhein is the least hassle and has all the options.

Used to be my homebase and I would love to be back one day.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

This will be a Summer visit.

Ok, St Gallen sounds like the best choice and least hassle, thank you.

EGKB Biggin Hill

St. Gallen LSZR has definitely the lowest driving time to Flims. >90% of the route is autoroute. Per map.search.ch 107km/1hr18. Mollis would be a bit closer, but you really would need to talk nice to get permission (read: unlikely). They are very focused on heli’s and VLA’s (i.e. low-noise) and “normal” certified GA aircraft are usually only allowed on special occasions (old-timer event, military, etc) as far as I am aware and is VFR only. Samedan LSZS would be fine (assuming you have an aircraft with approach category B or higher, otherwise you need a qualification), but the route is a mountain highway so the driving time would be higher. Again, per map.search.ch 93km/1hr58. If you’re coming to ski, then the time would be higher. Autoroute from St. Gallen likely about the same year-round.

LSZK, Switzerland

Fly310 wrote:

Earlier this year I flew to St Gallen and took a taxi/car to Flims. It was about 1,5 hour drive

The route from St Gallen looks more convenient to me… but Samedan is (also) about 1.5 hrs away from Flims, much less distance but across Julier Pass.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 05 May 13:40
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message