Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Short trip to UK

Although we haven’t been at the Cambrige Fly-In last weekend, we flew to the UK for some days.
After running my business at Dortmund I made a low level vfr flight to Oostende (EBOS), where I met my wife to continue on the next day to Shoreham (EGKA).
At Oostende we had a little hassle with one of the security guys who had now clues about the regulations when going to the UK. But the GAT manager did a good job then and we where handeled as Vip-Crew and met our ETD in time.

At Shoreham we landed on the grass runway due of wind, something @Peter said he would refuse. It was great to meet Peter at his homebase and we went to a good fish restaurant together with him. Than he gave us a lift to Brighton, where we stayed overnight.

Next morning we took of to Bodmin (EGLA), a beautiful private airfield.
Will continue with part 2 soon.

EDDS , Germany

The weather was getting worse as we were reaching Cornwall. But it was still VFR, so we could reach the field short before a strong shower came down. The guys at the field were very nice and gave us a lift to the lovely town Fowey a bit more down the coast. On the evening there was the opening of the Fowey Festifal of Arts & Literature.

Due of bad weather arriving in Germany on Sunday and the appointment I made with customer and maintenance for monday morning in Cologne, we decided to depart directly on Saturday via Jersey (EGJJ) to EDDS. As the runway at EGLA is only 610 meters, grass and wet on this day we didn’t refuel. We took of on IFR flightplan and got a direct passind the D012 on the way to Jersey. It was a good decision, because 201 liters of Avgas and the landing fees in total made £229. That was good and it was only 1 hour for the whole stopp, but also nearly 1 hour flying over water.

The last leg was about 3 hours and took us through the front home. Here we landed in best weather again and the return plan was completely successful, as I made it VFR to EDKB on Sunday although the bad weather was moving in and it was not the easiest flight, but possible due of the low level bad weather routing following the Rhine river.

EDDS , Germany

Nice trip report – thanks for sharing.

As a non-UK based pilot, how did you find the GAR reporting system?

EGTT, The London FIR

As a non-UK based pilot, how did you find the GAR reporting system?

To go to the UK it was very easy, as I did use the functinality of the autorouter to create and deliver the GAR.
Jersey was as always more complicated, because they use their one GAR formular and if you are traveling around with the iPad only the validation functionality was not working for me. Finally I did fill out the pdf and did send it to the Aeroclob and to customs by email and then it was fine for both.

EDDS , Germany

Nice trip and report… and an appetizer to go there

FWIW – when I went to Jersey last summer the club told me not to bother with the/a GAR for them. Just a flightplan and an email to the club was enough… (came via Dinard)

EDM_, Germany
5 Posts
Sign in to add your message