Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Elba LIRJ fly-in 8/9 September 2018

Landing RW34 is easy but you have to decide about go around pretty early if you’re late (same as taking off of RW34) then you need to have a lot of power and steep angle of climb and then you have to make slight left turn and continue within “valley” towards Procchio.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

It looks like a left turn or a right turn might work.

I am sure it will be a great fly-in.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Landing RW34 is easy but you have to decide about go around pretty early if you’re late (same as taking off of RW34) then you need to have a lot of power and steep angle of climb and then you have to make slight left turn and continue within “valley” towards Procchio.

You mean slight right turn or am I missing something?

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Totaly agree with Emir concerning RW16 approach.
Take a look to this one (not mine)

You can see the full approach from NE, then N, with visual on altimeter and VSI.
Approaching at 1500’ you’ll have a clear view of the RW from far away behind the hills, then overfly them at 1000’ or little less and you have 1Nm to loose this altitude.
Anyway is a steep descend, but when the RW16 is in use, a steady southern wind is blowing, getting things easier.

On youtube you can find all kind of RW16 approach.

Antonio
LSZA - LILV, Italy
Happy only when flying
Sabaudia airstrip LISB, Italy

Antonio wrote:

You mean slight right turn or am I missing something?

You are right I meant right towards Procchio.

Here’s my landing to RW16 – not so correct path I passed the last hill from right rather than from the left:

https://www.facebook.com/emir.memic.988/videos/10209487619827514

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Could we please have some indication of how many people are likely to be turning up?

The more people say they plan to come, the more will come because on our fly-ins most people wait to see how many others are going

I have added Elba to Meetups and will do a mailing soon as a reminder, to those who have ticked the consent box.

I never heard anything back from the airport despite emailing them twice, in English and Italian. I guess they have plenty of space. They probably need a phone call in Italian.

Administrator

Booked a hotel – plan to come.
Weather is a factor for me, even though I am normally happy to take some risk.
This time: need to be back the following week for ARC renewal ;-)

EDM_, Germany

Any suggestions for a good hotel?

The one I stayed in in 2014 was fine but I have no record of it.

Obviously we can all stay in different places but it is nice to be fairly “local”.

Administrator

I am planning to come.

Norman
United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message