Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Elba LIRJ fly-in 8/9 September 2018

Has anyone looked at the climb gradient that is on the chart? Im confused by the 5% climb gradient and yet they call for 304’/NM my climb chart dosent match up. The visual TO chart for the airport lists the 304" and 5% gradient. My climb chart lists 304’/nm is at 3% not 5 % and the 5% shows a climb required at 795’/Min.at 90KTS

Done manually I get the following:

5% with 90KTS Airspeed
5×90KTS= 450’/Min
But this does not agree with the chart so either the above formula is off or the chart is wrong. But curiously its close to the answer below.

If I were to use the 304’/NM which the chart says is required:
90KTS airspeed
90/60=1.5×304= 456’/Min
http://expertaviator.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/ClimbDescent-Table.jpeg

KHTO, LHTL

C210_Flyer wrote:

My climb chart lists 304’/nm is at 3% not 5 % and the 5% shows a climb required at 795’/Min.at 90KTS
Your climb chart lists vertical path angles, not gradients. A 3° angle is approximately a 5.2% gradient.

5% with 90KTS Airspeed
5×90KTS= 450’/Min
But this does not agree with the chart so either the above formula is off or the chart is wrong. But curiously its close to the answer below.

If I were to use the 304’/NM which the chart says is required:
90KTS airspeed
90/60=1.5×304= 456’/Min

Your 456’/min calculation is exact, while your 450’/min calculation is using a rule-of-thumb (that gradient in % x airspeed in knots = vertical speed in fpm)

If you do your first calculation with exact unit conversions, you will also get 456’/min.

E.g. 90 kt = 46,3 m/s. 5% of 46,3 is 2,315. 2,315 m/s = 456 ft/min.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 04 Sep 18:24
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

If there are any forumites near gothenburg there are some seats left in a PA27 leaving ESGP 0600 Z friday, back monday afternoon. Please PM me

ESG..., Sweden

Peter wrote:

When I was there in 2014 I did the bus. It worked great and was a lot safer It is a good effortless way to see the island.

C210_Flyer wrote:

Bus sounds good to me. Count me in.

lmsl1967 wrote:

I am also interested and I found a company. Before contacting them please refer here how many are interested (preferable until tomorrow afternoon) for a morning ride around the island, lets say, a Sunday morning.

I’m also up for touring the island. There are a few lines on the public transport. Line 116 has a good circuit around the island (Portoferraio – Procchio – Marciana M.na – Marciana – Pomonte – Marina di Campo – La Pila). It’s 10 € for an all day travel card. I can’t tell if those times are for any day of the week though.

Last Edited by james16 at 05 Sep 08:25
LFMD

Airborne_Again wrote:

Your 456’/min calculation is exact, while your 450’/min calculation is using a rule-of-thumb (that gradient in % x airspeed in knots = vertical speed in fpm)

If you do your first calculation with exact unit conversions, you will also get 456’/min.

E.g. 90 kt = 46,3 m/s. 5% of 46,3 is 2,315. 2,315 m/s = 456 ft/min.

Airborne_Again wrote:

Your climb chart lists vertical path angles, not gradients. A 3° angle is approximately a 5.2% gradient.

Thanks Airborne I never knew that difference. I knew someone in this would solve this riddle. Thanks again.

KHTO, LHTL

Peter, Ok I now have 2 passengers not one.

KHTO, LHTL

Re Saturday Dinner, haven’t heard any other suggestions so it will be Garden Breach for pre-drinks (suggested by AE!) and Ristorante Bologna for dinner (#94)

Garden Beach to Ristorante Bologna is a 3 minute walk.
Ristorante Bologna has a large terrace at the back (photos).
I’ve made a booking for 40 people. If anyone here would avoid this restaurant (for whatever reason) please raise your hand now! :)

LFMD

Could be a big crowd – the biggest yet and even exceeding Carsassonne which involved a lot of organisation

Several of us are going on to LGKJ so this is the “usual process”

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Just wanted to inform participants that upon arrival if they go to the airport bar (to your left when you exit the terminal) and present themselves as EuroGA pilots they will be offered a “welcome drink”.

Happy only when flying
Sabaudia airstrip LISB, Italy

I will be arriving on an IFR flight plan. Does anyone know what the procedure is when arriving at Elba which is VFR only?
1. Do they give you a point and what is the lowest Altitude on can descend before you have to cancel your flight plan seeing as there are no contact approaches in the EU?

2.I take it people are using Batista as an Alternate is that correct? They require 48HRS PPR is that a problem? Is a cloud break allowed then to fly onto Elba?

KHTO, LHTL
Sign in to add your message