Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Elba LIRJ fly-in 8/9 September 2018

Peter wrote:

As before, twins and turboprops got the tarmac and it might be handy to know how you arrange that for the “lesser” types.

Arrive one day before the rest

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Peter wrote:

This is a real puzzle.
The AIP section posted above by Dimme shows the opening times, though ambiguously IMHO.
The AIP section posted above by me does not show the opening times. Or am I going blind?

Peter,

Dimme’s AIP page is dated 27 Apr 2017 and is the currently valid AIP entry.
Yours is dated 13 Sep 2018.

Your AIP page is not yet valid. Indeed at the bottom of each page it says “Draft”!! Never seen that on an AIP before ;)
I can only assume they mean to supplement it by way of NOTAM with the opening times.

There is currently a NOTAM out saying that AD Amin, ATS, Fuelling & Handling are not available 0600-0700 & 1700-1800.

It’s been out since 1 July 2018.

So all looks ok to me. The NOTAMS correctly update the AIP times.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Autorouter correctly lists all NOTAMs in briefing PDF and besides the others there’s one related to working hours, replacing whatever is stated in AIP.

ENGLISH TEXT:
REF AIP AD 2 LIRJ 1-1 ITEM 3 ‘OPERATIONAL HOURS’ CHANGE
- BOX 4 ‘AIS BRIEFING OFFICE’
- BOX 5 ‘ARO’
- BOX 6 ‘METEO BRIEFING OFFICE’ TO READ: H24 ARO-CBO ROMA,
- BOX 12 ‘REMARKS’ TO READ:
1) ARO-CBO ROMA: SEE GEN 3.1
2) HR AD ADMINISTRATION, ATS, FUELLING AND HANDLING:
- MAR AND OCT HR 0700-SS (0600-SS)
- SEP HR 0600-1800 OR 0600-SS+30 WICHEVER IS EARLIER
- OTHER MONTHS: 0800-1530 (0600-1800).
REF AIP AD 2 LIRJ 1-3 ITEM 11 ‘METEOROLOGICAL INFORMATION’
- BOX 5 ‘BRIEFING AND CONSULTATION PROVIDED’
CHG TO READ:
BRIEFING: ARO-CBO ROMA, TELEPHONE
CONSULTATION: NIL
- BOX 7 ‘CHARTS AND OTHER INFORMATION AVAILABLE FOR BRIEFING OR
CONSULTATION’
CHG TO READ: P, W, SWL
- BOX 8 ‘SUPPLEMENTARY EQUIPMENT AVAILABLE FOR PROVIDING INFORMATION’
CHG TO READ: FAX, SELF-BRIEFING
- BOX 10 ‘CLIMATOLOGICAL INFORMATION AND ADDITIONAL INFORMATION’
CHG TO READ:
REFERENCE CONTACTS FOR ARO-CBO ROMA: SEE GEN 3.1

I don’t understand what made confusion – all stated times are UTC. So for the clarification this is stated in above NOTAM (row by row):

- MAR AND OCT HR 0700-SS (0600-SS) – March and October from 07:00 UTC till sunset during winter time (from 08:00 local time till sunset) or 06:00 UTC till sunset during summer time (again from 08:00 local time till sunset)
- SEP HR 0600-1800 OR 0600-SS+30 WICHEVER IS EARLIER – September from 06:00 UTC till 18:00 UTC or from 06:00 UTC till sunset plus 30 min whichever is earlier (effectively similar to above in terms of local time from 08:00 till 20:00 or till sunset plus 30 minutes)
- OTHER MONTHS: 0800-1530 (0600-1800) – Other months from 08:00 UTC till 15:30 UTC during winter time (from 09:00 till 16:30 local time) or 06:00 UTC till 18:00 UTC during summer time (from 07:00 till 19:00 local time).

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

The point is that that according to the NOTAM, on the day in question, the airport should have closed at 18:00, but apparently, they did close an hour sooner.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I think the issue is that there are 2 “conflicting” notams, one which states the opening hours for a larger period of time, then 1 that revises the hours for a subset that period (1-12 sep). If one doesn’t read carefully ALL the (awfully formatted) notams then they might be induced into error.

Thanks, I didn’t initially spot this. Indeed. So whilst it is certainly all a bit convoluted, the information was that the airport would close at 17:00 on that day. End of story.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 11 Sep 14:21
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Many people, myself included, would have made the same mistake. The way the information was published is atrocious, done in a “we are doing our ICAO/CAA obligations and sod people wanting to actually fly a plane to LIRJ”, and made worse by Italy evidently not distributing the notams to some countries and thus to commonly used notam distributors.

Unfortunately not everyone joined the telegram group, despite my best efforts. We have those for good reasons, to thrash out all the details. Some people there don’t post on a forum also.

The only thing I would say was incorrect was to cut it so close to the closing time, on a long flight.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It was good to be able to meet up with the group and put some faces to forumites. Unfortunately we were quite a few and I didn’t manage to say hello to everyone.
A good excuse to fly to the next meeting.

Not withstanding the AIP issue, I trust everybody was happy with the airport staff, service and discount.

Happy only when flying
Sabaudia airstrip LISB, Italy

Yes the airport staff were really great Actually everything was great from my POV. It was super to meet everyone, and the restaurant we picked was great, great staff, great food, loads of room, and wasn’t too noisy.

Except the sand apron mentioned already. I still have sand coming out of the door locks here at LGST. Not sure what the bill for cleaning those will be – probably loads. Clearly one needs a modified static vent plug for the door locks Or a plane which is rented…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thank you – worked very well for us as well, forgot to collect my free drink though

Norman
United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message