Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Elba LIRJ fly-in 8/9 September 2018

16 aircraft so far

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

30 people in total, and would have been 3 more if one didn’t get a flat tyre on the way. Very few cancellations.

So many nice people, and great to see many I had never met before.

This was one of the best turnouts, and definitely the best considering there were no locals who could drive there.

It shows that the best fly-ins are to nice places not served by airlines. In fact Elba is no longer reachable by commercial air at all (they lost their last service recently).

Thank you all for a brilliant meet-up

Administrator

Just in case anyone is interested, we stayed at Hotel Lo Zizzolo which was a lovely little place, in which everything just worked and it was super value. Highly recommended!

Administrator

Our apologies for not making it. We were just north of Elba when Rome told us they were already closed on Saturday evening. 30 minutes before the 1800 listed in the AIP. We diverted Bastia but after 6 hours flying we were very disappointed.

EGCJ, United Kingdom

That is horrible, Mark. Very sorry to hear.

The opening hours for LIRJ were checked directly with the airport and posted in the telegram group as 0700-1700 UTC.

I wonder if the AIP is wrong? The only AIP I can find right now (about to go to bed) is on the airport website local copy and bizzarely it doesn’t contain the opening hours. It says See Remarks but it doesn’t appear anywhere else either. Do you still have the AIP you found the other times in?

Administrator

Shouldn’it be like in France, where AIP list hours as UTC-1. For Summer, substract 1 more hour ?

LFBZ, France

Sounds like a fantastic fly in.
Sorry for thread hijack: Would LIPV be suitable for the next one?
Walking distance to the beach, great restaurants and hotels…and a short ferry ride to Venice for thos who want to see it.

always learning
LO__, Austria

The AIP hours should always be UTC. I would like to find the LIRJ AIP which contains the opening hours. There are about 5 versions of it on google and maybe one of them has the wrong times?

We were going to do LIPV (Venice Lido) in 2015 but when I suggested somebody checks about the film festival nobody did so, until somebody did it very late, and since moving the date doesn’t work (so we found in the past – most people book their diary months in advance) we moved it to Portoroz (Piran) LJPZ, just up the road, and that was very good – except for bad wx but that’s another story We still had about 10 people.

By all recent reports I’ve seen, Venice itself is a gigantic tourist ripoff (it was when I went there 10 years ago) but let’s see how much interest there is. It is a highly “romantic” destination, and we had a large number interested, which dropped to about 30% when it was moved to LJPZ.

One other factor with fly-in destinations is that any grass runway reduces the interest by quite a lot – 30 to 50%. LIPV is in pretty good condition normally though.

Administrator

Here you go: local copy

ESME, ESMS
Sign in to add your message