Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Elba LIRJ fly-in 8/9 September 2018

The Venice movie festival is every year the first week of September. The 2019 edition is announced from Aug 28 to Sep 7.
We might have to find another timeframe to do this.
I’ve been to Venice in May and only the very center is super busy and super ripoff. It takes an hour on foot to walk from one end to the other, so it is easy to explore the outer areas, and they are full of treasures. On foot or by boat.
I would definitely try to make it if LIPV is chosen. And the international airport is an alternative for IFR and hard parking.

LFOU, France

LIPV is perfect because the “Lido” on which the airport is situated itself is great for eating, walking, beach/swimming and is not even comparable to the level of tourists there as in Venice. The grass runway is hard and in good condition… taking a DA42 there with no problem frequently. For those who bring family along Venice is just a quick boat ride away if touristic agenda is to be included… and yes LIPZ is close. Used to fly Croatia-LIPZ for customs and then fly 3 minutes to LIPV ;)
I only need to know 2 months in advance and I’ll be there for sure!

always learning
LO__, Austria

May and June are nice for this area. Not very crowded.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Looks like you had a very nice fly-in
I wish I was there but I am busy preparing the Rallye Toulouse Saint-Louis du Senegal and I am still a bit occupied organizing the plane: ADL 140, Pilotaware, action cams, Private radar (to be installed in Toulouse LFCL)… and my suit case for 20 days, the hardest part (I won’t forget my EuroGA Tshirt).
I will post reports of my rally .

Jean
EBST, Belgium

We viewed the AIP through skydemon and cross referenced it to the NOTAMs. The AIP opening times vary by month. For September closing was given as 1800 or SS+30, which would have been just after; hence we assumed 1800 was the more conservative of the two. I tried to cross reference the infield website for confirmation but unfortunately it was down. I now see the website is up again and does indeed say 1700, with no mention of month-by-month opening times as in the AIP and associated NOTAM. Bastia however were very helpful, as were Elba when we eventually arrived today.

EGCJ, United Kingdom

This is a real puzzle.

The AIP section posted above by Dimme shows the opening times, though ambiguously IMHO.

The AIP section posted above by me does not show the opening times. Or am I going blind?

The notams for LIRJ (obtained from the Norway site) are currently NIL and have been for a number of days. Can anyone see notams for LIRJ?

The only way was to contact the airport.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Bugger. So the website said 17 and the NOTAM said 18? And they did close at 17? Shame on them! Websites have no meaning in terms of aeronautical information…

@Peter: no, there is a truckload of NOTAMs out for LIRJ at the moment…

Last Edited by boscomantico at 10 Sep 14:53
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

So, Italy is not distributing airport notams to Norway, and there are two versions of the Italian AIP? Weird!

The other notam source (widely used) is NOAA.

Norway:

NOAA:

Good job most people joined the telegram group for the fly-in!

Administrator

I always taught Notams were the definitive source but even these fails to get updated on time (I learned about it at Deauville but not the hard way fortunately, was not airport ops fault tough), so the best is just to give a call the man in-charge, in some places seems nothing have changed from the old minitel days…

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

One problem with Elba LIRJ is the sand apron – just like the awful Calvi one but slightly less bad because of overnight humidity

I told the staff about the problem this stuff causes and they agreed but nothing could be done. Someone suggested that they will eventually tarmac the whole surface.

I made sure we pulled the plane forward manually onto the tarmac before starting, as in the 2nd pic above, but still there was sand all over it, even inside the door locks… The people who do this “airport management” stuff are clueless. The surface in 2014 was compacted soil and that was ok.

As before, twins and turboprops got the tarmac and it might be handy to know how you arrange that for the “lesser” types.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message