Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Merida (Badajoz LEBZ), Spain, 2018

5:30 to 6:00

Fair tailwind over Spain

875.4 NM (direct: 769.1 NM, overhead 14%, 14.7 NM for SID/STAR)

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Quite a trip! BTW, can the thread title be changed to “Badajoz”- rather than “Bajones” for future ref?

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Yeah, I discovered Bajones is in Mexico

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Bajones is in Mexico

That would be quite a cross-country!

Have a great flight!

Last Edited by Antonio at 18 Oct 20:02
Antonio
LESB, Spain

Peter wrote:

875.4 NM (direct: 769.1 NM, overhead 14%, 14.7 NM for SID/STAR)

Peter how much fuel reserve does a trip like that leave you in your TB20 ?

EGSX

At FL160, very roughly 3-4 hours before the juice runs out completely. Somewhere past Tangier.

Flights like this are impossible to do without a fuel totaliser. It shows the landing fuel on board, updated every second or so, and this allows tactical decisions to be made about diversions, according to the fuel situation, the tafs and metars obtained via the ADL150, and anything else.

Well, one could do it without a fuel totaliser because the margin is not that tight (for LEBZ) assuming nothing goes wrong, but you would need to somehow know accurate fuel flow, and keep ticking off your estimate at each waypoint and that will tell you if you are above or below the budget as you go along. That is how real pilots used to do it and my JAR-FCL approved plog still has the boxes for that sort of thing (I just use the blank part for notes)

but I am not a real pilot; I just look at the LFOB and if it is any lower than this I divert (or sooner depending on where, the wx, etc)

One guy flew a TB20 without a totaliser, Biggin Hill to Corfu, and when he filled up he found he had 6 USG in the tanks. That is not the suggested method

Administrator

Peter wrote:

At FL160, very roughly 3-4 hours before the juice runs out completely. Somewhere past Tangier.

Flights like this are impossible to do without a fuel totaliser.

If you plan on having 3-4 hours reserve after a 5-6 hour flight, then you don’t need a fuel totaliser!

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Yes he does… Suppose when over Spain he found out he needed to go back because he forgot his passport?

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Administrator

One of the many Spanish ghost airports. 100M of EU money and a few M a year

Got avgas ok, AIR BP card. Very good ATC.

Got some amazing shortcuts across Spain but had to really push for them. 6:10 airborne time. FL100 to FL180. Plenty of ice around but VMC at FL180.

Gramet temp profile forecast wildly off. Much warmer. Tailwind over Spain as expected at 30kt+ and nothing before.

Landed with 22 usg.

Waiting for Emir to share the only means of transport… You have guessed… A taxi!

Administrator
Sign in to add your message