Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Alderney EGJA June 2018

This is a quick picture report on a day trip to Alderney.

It is a wonderful destination for a day trip, or a few days’ stay. It’s like the Scilly Isles in the way it is laid back (it is rather more “dead” than the Scillies). The population is reportedly 1800 but looking at the number of houses, most must be holiday homes. And a good number are abandoned and decrepit.

There are the slightly weird formalities e.g. the 12hr PNR with the UK GAR form, plus you have to download a special “Guernsey GAR form” from the Guernsey airport website and bring that with you (they are unable to accept email – it is too modern); it gets jammed into a letterbox which some jobsworth empties every so often. In fact 75.3% of the population work at the airport and make a real JOB of it :) But it all works smoothly.

I use the ACDSEE picture viewer to sort the images into the required order (by the image created date in EXIF) and then renumber them, and resize down to 924 pixels wide which I think is 1 pixel short of the max picture width.

Dropping pics from Windows Explorer works but you get a rather random order – regardless of the sort order selected.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

There are the slightly weird formalities e.g. the 12hr PNR with the UK GAR form, plus you have to download a special “Guernsey GAR form” from the Guernsey airport website and bring that with you (they are unable to accept email – it is too modern); it gets jammed into a letterbox which some jobsworth empties every so often.

Fyi, all of this is a complete doddle in SD.

Great place to visit.

jgmusic
North Weald, United Kingdom

It is a complete doddle in Word 2003 also I pick up a previous GAR with same or similar people, Save As, print to PDF, email, and it’s done.

Not sure I would carry around a tablet with a load of peoples’ addresses and passport details. If that tablet gets lost or stolen, you have a MAJOR headache because there is enough info there to clean out a bank account (it’s been done). I also don’t use the Autorouter GAR filing service for this reason.

Regarding Alderney, I wonder about doing a EuroGA fly-in there. Or the Scilly Isles for that matter. I wonder whether anybody from mainland Europe would go there? From the EU (non UK) there is just the Guernsey GAR form to do, plus obviously a flight plan. I know some here have done it but only very few.

Administrator

Well it looks like all bases are covered

jgmusic
North Weald, United Kingdom

What’s the hotel situation on Alderney? Booking.com only shows one, and it’s sold out most of the time.

Andreas IOM

I used a bed & breakfast found by browsing the map on Google maps, and contacted them directly.

ELLX

I have often fallen into the trap “nothing on booking.com = no hotels”

But a lot of hotel owners hate booking.com, especially in the busy season. More so in some countries. But they hate airb&b even more

Fortunately, a google on

alderney hotels

digs out e.g. trip advisor which lists a whole pile of them.

Administrator
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message