Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Ouessant (aka Ushant) LFEC

Hi all, any experiences of this destination? Looks like a bit of a curious place but any island with an airfield gets my interest…

jgmusic
North Weald, United Kingdom

Ouessant is an amazing island (my humble opinion).
The airfield LFEC is AFIS sometimes but completely usable out of hours, in daytime. They have a box where to put your landing fee.
The airfield has LPV and NDB approaches. Brest Approach manages the area. They can also give you your IFR clearance on the phone.
No fuel of any kind.

A taxi into town costs about 15€. It takes about an hour on foot.
The main town is a very neat village, looks like the UK in some way. It gets quiet in the evening when the last ferry is gone.
We stayed at the Hotel du Fromveur and had diner at the Ty Korn (well known place, book if you want to have dinner). Awesome atmosphere with lots of local beer

LFOU, France

Went there last year and really sticks in my mind as a very special (wonderful) destination – especially the flight out to the island from the mainland. We hired bikes at the airport, if I remember correctly. No difficulties that I can recall, all-round excellent.

Bordeaux

Thanks both, it sounds like a lovely place. We fell in love with Belle Île recently so this sounds like a good one to add to the list!

jgmusic

I looked it up. Looks interesting.

FR-only outside ATS hours.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks Peter.

1030-1400 that’s a good lunch

jgmusic

Strictly speaking, even during ATS hours.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

OK, yes. FR-only talking to the tower, and FR-only talking to other pilots. It is interesting that air-air is specified as FR-only, given this and subsequent posts.

Better get a boat from Brest But that could be tricky. I looked at booking.com (virtually nothing) and airb&b (completely nothing). Maybe there are other sites? Maybe this ?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

We have been there again in May. A really nice island.
You may give the local bike renter a call in advance and they will bring you some bikes to the airport.
Or you may just walk to the town. It‘s less then one hour to walk, we did it in 25 minutes. In the town you may rent the bikes as well and arrange to leave them on the airport when you go.
Have fun.

EDDS , Germany

A good old fashioned Google search for ‘hotels in Ouesant’ brings up quite a few on a map, including Jujupilote’s Hotel du Fromveur.

jgmusic
58 Posts
Sign in to add your message