Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

September trip to Greece (LGSO Syros and LGKC Kithira)

We are planning a trip to Greece in September to the above two islands via LGIO (Ioannina). Has anyone visited these islands recently who may have some upto date information such as which handling agent to use etc. Also Is it worth staying in Ioannina for a night while passing through, or just use it as a tech stop. Perhaps @petakas would be kind enough to offer some advise.
Many thanks

EGBE (COVENTRY, UK)

Just had an email from Goldair that they do not have a station in LGIO????

EGBE (COVENTRY, UK)

We’ll be passing through LGIO IOANNINA on Aug 26 for destination Paros LGPA. Will have a review then.

Tököl LHTL

Rob2701 wrote:

Also Is it worth staying in Ioannina for a night

Why not ? You may visit the islet in the middle of the lake and taste fried froglegs !
http://www.nisi-ioanninon.gr/

LGGG

Rob2701 wrote:

Has anyone visited these islands recently who may have some upto date information such as which handling agent to use etc

The proper route to flight plan in Greece.

Go to www.aopa.gr/Info and just spend 10 minutes to read all of it !

Example, paragraph 12.b leads to Kithira LGKC having only handler SkyServ and further down their contact details follow.

Paragraph 13 after it shows Kithira LGKC is port of entry which means that if you don’t need fuel from Ioannina LGIO you can fly direct to LGKC.

Ioannina is the “Lake Como” (sort of speak) of Greece.
It is really worth an overnight there if you’re not in a hurry.

LGMG Megara, Greece

Paragraph 13 after it shows Kithira LGKC is port of entry which means that if you don’t need fuel from Ioannina LGIO you can fly direct to LGKC.

Is that current? That is dynamite!

That text has been in the AIP for years, on and off, was often discussed on the “Greek scene” but nobody was quite sure whether it was a mistake and then you might get arrested. I heard LGKC had international charters going there many years ago…

There is no fuel on LGKC but in say a TB20 it is reachable from Croatia e.g. LDDU if you want to fly back to LDDU. If you are flying to some fuel (and e.g. Syros has avgas) then you can reach LGKC from lots of places e.g. LDLO.

Kithira is really beautiful.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Maybe worth noting that Ioannina is pronounced “Yánina”. Am I right, petakas?

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Peter wrote:

Is that current?

As current as it gets. I confirmed it with the airport governor last time I visited them there few weeks ago.
The handler was busy with the airline from Athens and I dared to complain we would be late.
Off comes the airport chief with us at the apron so as not to delay us and he even helped us remove the chocks!

At this walk we talked about GA and he said that he is trying hard to get AVGAS & JETA1 in Kithira.
He earned once again my respect.

By the way, the name of the airport is not a coincidence
Alexander Onassis
No not the father, the son. A son who if he had not died on January 23rd, 1973, at the age of 24, aviation (of all types) in Greece, including its infastracture, would be at another level nowadays.
Kithira has a lot of potential for GA in the future.
In the airport entrance there is a statue of Alexander and if you see it from above (flying) its encompassed by a large Omega (Ω) structure (the first letter of the Greek surname).

LGMG Megara, Greece

A very interesting wiki link. Yes; Greek GA would have probably been very different…

Kithira is slot coordinated so that is €50 for the slot, unless you fly there VFR.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Interesting. I could then fly LDDU to LGKC then on to LGSO for fuel then exit at LGIO. I have emailed skyserv at all the above airports today for costs. Skyserv st LGKC have so far responded with fees in line with the AOPA Hellas agreement. By the way @Petakas I am an AOPA Hellas member and thanks for your invaluable input.

EGBE (COVENTRY, UK)
41 Posts
Sign in to add your message