Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Ioannina LGIO Greece

From here

Ioannina LGIO will have JET-A1 and AVGAS – Feb 2018

An update on this subject.

As of mid. February 2018 Ioannina LGIO in northern Greece will have JET-A1 and AVGAS.

It was confirmed by the fuel company when asked by AOPA Greece.

Relevant post in Greek from a local news portal.

This simplifies the process and reduces the costs of entering/exiting Greece from north combined with a fuel stop since the only alternative for entry were (are) privatized Kerkyra LGKR & Thessaloniki LGTS.

Its a CAA public airport (non privatized) it is not SLOT coordinated (no handler charge for IFR slot) and it has ample parking space so there are no PPR issues.
The operation hours are not ideal (found in LGIO NOTAMs) but with some minimal planning ahead most (final destination) combinations are possible.

More info at www.aopa.gr/Info paragraph 2.

The city of Ioannina

is also a great stopover place if someone wants to spend some time there.

The airport will also soon get an RNAV approach to supplement the existing VORDME available ones.
A GBAS station is already installed on site for the LNAV/VNAV approach which will be soon upgraded to LPV minima.
They are not published yet.
In summer 2017 ENAV’s Piaggio Avanti P180 was in Ioannina to establish/check the RNAV procedure.

All of the above off course was not done just for GA .
A new charter service was introduced in Ioannina from abroad during summer 2017.
Video of the first arrival.

They had to fly via nearby Aktion (Preveza) LGPZ just to refuel !

Ioannina in winter months’ mornings gets fogged in until the sun breaks up the adjacent lake’s humid resident air mass. For summer, or winter past noon, visitors this is not an issue.

Last Edited by petakas at 17 Jan 09:08
LGMG Megara, Greece

Good news Petakas !! …And dont tell me that the “friendly” lady left in pension ?

LGGG

petakas wrote:

A GBAS station is already installed
Cat II/III?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

MedFlyer wrote:

And dont tell me that the “friendly” lady left in pension ?

I have no such (good) news.

NOTE: MedFlyer refers to a known infamous Ioannina CAA officer in the Greek aviation community who is as punctual as it gets in regards to aircraft/pilot documentation and apron access procedures. Some pilot must have done something bad to this lady in her youth.

LGMG Megara, Greece

Airborne_Again wrote:

A GBAS station is already installed

Cat II/III?

I do not know yet. What I know is that there will be lower minima than the existing VOR approaches.

Presently the LGIO PBN approaches are ready, the Safety Assessment is in progress by the CAA. The schedule is that they go out in April’s AIRAC.

LGMG Megara, Greece

Brilliant news Petakas. This is really useful to have. OTOH, if it starts to make money, aren’t Fraport going to grab it?

Didn’t @Emir get charged some “mysterious” amount there in 2017?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

So they are both a port of entry and AVGAS source?

Tököl LHTL

petakas wrote:

I do not know yet. What I know is that there will be lower minima than the existing VOR approaches.
But you wouldn’t need GBAS for that, i think.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

LGIO is a port of entry, yes.

Greece always had plenty of ports of entry – basically all the “holiday islands” e.g. Kefalonia. So if you fly e.g. a TBM, there is no problem. Or a DA42.

The historical issue for most of us was that almost none had avgas. Only Corfu LGKR, Athens (main) LGAV, Samos LGSM, Iraklion LGIR, Sitia LGST, Rhodos LGRP? and the last three are rather a long way south. Corfu and Samos were most popular for island hopping. Sitia was also good if you have a long range plane like say a TB20.

The “2017 issue” has been the Fraport takeover of most of these which jacked up the costs greatly and imposed rigid slot requirements (all of which the locals used as an opportunity to fleece people even more). A TBM is now £300, a DA42 is also £300.

It will be interesting what LGIO charges for a landing and say overnight parking.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

It will be interesting what LGIO charges for a landing and say overnight parking.

Depends on various details like if EU or N’reg, AOPA or non AOPA discount, if Customs were not scheduled to be there and need to be notified, if you notify them yourself or the handler and so on.

The airport costs are minimal, like 1.6 Euro per day (7.3 for non EU reg) plus the 12 Euro per passenger per departure, fee.

www.aopa.gr/Info costs are what is listed in paragraph 23.b are for CAA airports.

So your main cost is the HANDLER (paragraph 12.b).
This can range from 50 to 150 depending on how well you have studied the above page.

LGMG Megara, Greece
73 Posts
Sign in to add your message