Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Avranches LFRW

Yes likely Rennes now (no longer Deauville or Brest) due to reorganisation

As I was told last years regulation (Covid ?)

Maybe something from CV19 restrictions? I was told in Cannes that Corsica is a sovereign country with own tests, passport checks, I am only aware of different tax rates (I would go to war for their anexation to France if they get the independence)

I doubt there is a legal basis for it now, I think one can fly with no radio to Avranches?

Last Edited by Ibra at 17 Aug 09:07
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

Which ATC/FIS unit? assuming you are talking to one (not mandatory)

As I was told last years regulation (Covid ?) you were supposed to be talking to ATC/FIS when approaching these airfields under autorisation pour l’utilisation and if I remember correct it was Rennes.

Germany

This year we were not given a ‘landing permission granted number’, which you had to give ATC/FIS for leaving frequency in former years, so things seem to get easier

Which ATC/FIS unit? assuming you are talking to one (not mandatory)

we had quite some laughter during nighttime when we found them interested in nibbling tent laces

Just came back from a France trip and visited Avranches, again. Very friendly place.

The permission procedure(s) tend to change from time to time since they introduced the autorisation pour l’utilisation de l’aérodrome, so one should always check the current one before flying there! Basically permissions are needed from the Ministry of Transition Ecologique and Solidaire and Ministry of Transportation and the local Aeroclub(s) for using aerodromes in Bretagne, Normandie and Centre-Val de Loire. They combined this now 2022 into one simple email application:
send https://www.aeroclub-avranches.org/docs-ext/demande_aeu_ad_restreint-bretagne_normandie_centre-vdl_2019.pdf
to [email protected]
and they talk to each other in the background. It took about two weeks to get the permit, valid two chosen consecutive months and only for applied aircraft, by email . Also, do not forget to ring the airfield (Tél. 02 33 58 02 91) at least one or two days in advance! This year we were not given a ‘landing permission granted number’, which you had to give ATC/FIS for leaving frequency in former years, so things seem to get easier.

Avranches is a beautiful place to be, but beware of camping at the field, as the sheep are free. I never knew sheep are night active and this year we had quite some laughter during nighttime when we found them interested in nibbling tent laces …

Last Edited by MichaLSA at 17 Aug 05:50
Germany

For those like me who have never visited, there’s an interesting documentary on arte about the Mont Saint Michel (in French or German, with subtitles in English, Spanish, Polish and Italian).

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Capitaine wrote:

From this month’s info-pilote, in case you didn’t believe in the high tides

Now fully equipped with navigational buoys

From this month’s info-pilote, in case you didn’t believe in the high tides. The sign reads ‘access to the runways forbidden to the public’

Thanks, it looks coming very slowly this week for me (probably May 1st effect?), meanwhile I can just land there Monday with a high vis jacket, say “ras-le-bol” and I will get away with it ;)

Granville will do as alternative…

Last Edited by Ibra at 03 May 20:40

@Ibra I can’t find the emails, but it was quite quick both times: next working day I think. The original also arrived by post a couple of days later.
Bon vol

Capitaine wrote:

Unless based at one of the local airfields listed on the visual approach chart, you need to request permission to land, using this form and emailed to the address at the bottom.

@Capitaine do you recall how long it took the Avranches form to bounce back in your mailbox?

14 Posts
Sign in to add your message