Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Try out the new version of EuroGA

It’s looking good to me on an ipad, I like the font and find it easy to read. I’m guessing drag and drop is intended for use on a desktop?
Seconded on the “similar threads not seeming very relevant”
Thanks for all the hard work you do here.

It's supposed to be fun.
LFDW

I agree that the text size is too large — and also the typeface doesn’t feel quite right… I’m using a laptop Mac.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I’m on an iPad and each thread has the user profile name and image underneath the content of each post, which I don’t think is intentional. I can do a screenshot if you have an address where I can email it too.

Here’s for my 2c:

First of all, I’m in general of the ‘if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it’ persuasion. The current site works well, at least for me. What is a real improvement is the drag-n-drop functionality for images!

2) The font. This is interesting. I tried the site on an iPhone, an iPad and my MacBook Pro. The larger the screen, the harder the new font is to read. Works very well on the iPhone, but I find it very unpleasant and difficult to read on the laptop. Don’t have my large external screen where I am now, so cannot comment on anything above 15" at this time.

3) Where is the ‘Most Recent Threads’ button?? I want it back! Now! For me at least this is the main navigational tool. I could not care less for the various categories (I normally have no clue under which heading a post is filed).

4) The ‘report post’ button. Really?? Unless you have a valid legal reason, pls remove. It’s childish, and – at least so far – unnecessary on EuroGA.

I’m on an iPad and each thread has the user profile name and image underneath the content of each post, which I don’t think is intentional.

It is intentional in fact, at least, in portrait mode. The idea is that in that situation there isn’t enough width to display them comfortably side-by-side on a line. I might have another look at it to see if we can fit it in though.

Administrator
EGTR / London, United Kingdom

Thanks for the detailed feedback 172.

First of all, I’m in general of the ‘if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it’ persuasion. The current site works well, at least for me. What is a real improvement is the drag-n-drop functionality for images!

Ah, so you don’t really want us to leave it alone!

2) The font. This is interesting. I tried the site on an iPhone, an iPad and my MacBook Pro. The larger the screen, the harder the new font is to read. Works very well on the iPhone, but I find it very unpleasant and difficult to read on the laptop. Don’t have my large external screen where I am now, so cannot comment on anything above 15" at this time.

I’m using a 27" screen right now and find it pleasing to the eye, so I don’t think it’s solely a function of screen size. Font styles and sizes are tricky things with which to please everyone. We will continue to experiment a bit to see if we can find a sweet spot.

3) Where is the ‘Most Recent Threads’ button?? I want it back! Now! For me at least this is the main navigational tool. I could not care less for the various categories (I normally have no clue under which heading a post is filed).

It’s still there, it’s just labelled differently – it’s the “Active” link, the first one on the left just above the title.

4) The ‘report post’ button. Really?? Unless you have a valid legal reason, pls remove. It’s childish, and – at least so far – unnecessary on EuroGA.

Yep, really!! First of all, people do use it, though not a huge amount because Peter reads so many posts so frequently and of course people here post in a friendly and considered manner. However, there are other strong reasons for it to be there. The other thing is of course that it’s always been there. It’s there right now, to the right of this and all other posts on the forum.

Administrator
EGTR / London, United Kingdom

I should add that apart from the picture upload (which used to cause a lot of people huge problems; most could not find a way to do it at all and for some of those who could I was constantly fixing up broken links) the new software also addresses various small issues with text attributes. For example a trailing space used to prevent the italic mode working and that has been fixed. The bold, underline and italic attributes now work on blocks of text, which makes it easy to e.g. make it clear that a piece of text is a quote from some document – by making it italic. Also it is now harder to break the quote feature (which uses the bq. prefix and which requires e.g. a blank line before the paragraph being quoted unless it is at the top of a posting – the blank line is now inserted automatically). I think many people post from iphones and ipads which by apple politburo decree don’t have cursor keys and most people understandably won’t use the clumsy and utterly infuriating magnifiying glass device which is provided instead, so a lot of mistyped text used to just get left in place. Again, I was constantly fixing these up.

So, one huge improvement and a lot of smaller ones.

The picture upload feature works very well and removes the need to locate an external image hosting facility like e.g. imgur.com. All of these facilities have problems of various kinds. Imgur loses images 6 months after the last access. Some of the others will block images which they think are viewed too often. Some won’t serve images which are small! A lot of links simply break anyway e.g. links from Dropbox, Google storage, etc as soon as people delete those files. Many oddball images are stored very temporarily anyway – especially those which are located in various online sites by google/images. One of many examples might a pic of a plane (in the funny registrations thread) which is hosted on the CAA website – that one is sure to disappear sooner or later. That then devalues our site because a new visitor just gets a load of posts with missing images. So even if you use imgur, we strongly encourage you to use the local storage here because it will make your contributions that much more valuable and EuroGA will become an even better resource for new and existing pilots.

Last Edited by Peter at 14 Sep 05:15
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Ah, so you don’t really want us to leave it alone!

Noooooo – I’m a great fan of the incremental route.

It’s still there, it’s just labelled differently – it’s the “Active” link, the first one on the left just above the title

OK – admit I never even noticed it much. Speaks to the quality of discussion here….

It’s still there, it’s just labelled differently – it’s the “Active” link, the first one on the left just above the title.

Why change a proven title?

Last Edited by 172driver at 14 Sep 05:55

Out of interest, anybody who thinks the font is too large – are you viewing on a computer or a mobile device?

Too large, and the layout in general wastes too much real estate. This is also true for the “old” version. On a phone it looks good though.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Not read all this thread – just a quick ‘scan’ ATPIT.

Spell Check – from memory sure this existing site had one. It seems to have stopped working !!

Is / should the ‘Spell Check’ be a function of my computer or a EuroGA site function.

My ‘Spell Check’ in MS Word is working OK as always.

Sorry, a bit basic – but just a point.

Regret no current medical
Was Sandtoft EGCF, North England, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message