Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Try out the new version of EuroGA

Hi David,

gave the new features a try, works for me. Happy with it. Great to see that linking pics as well as upload works now, youtube and vimeo coupling is great too. Otherwise, works as before.

Font size, I can read it without my glasses :) Well, only on my big screen anyhow. Yet, I agree, a bit too big. The font itself is fine for me.

The explanation window on how to drag pictures is a tad in the way there, once you are done it may well be hidden again.

Maybe add a few smilies.

Thanks for the great job.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

David,

On my iPad the new site does not look bad at all although I must say changing the layout can be challenging to users . I do not object to the font or its size, but I agree with those who say that the layout is wasteful of real estate, particularly below and above the horizontal dividers, and left/right margins.

On my HTC One phone (4,7 in screen) it is a different story. The page titles are way oversized the page navigation (direct access to next/previous/first/last or any page number and total number of posts) spans three lines because of the large spacing between each item. The identity of the poster with avatar and home base wastes lots of space, but that was already the case with the old site.

Thanks for letting us have a sneak peek, and keep up the good work!

LFPT, LFPN

It’s still there, it’s just labelled differently – it’s the “Active” link, the first one on the left just above the title.
Why change a proven title?

In a word, brevity. It’s part of an effort to reduce the prevalence of “anything but content”. However, not a big deal either way ultimately I think we’d agree.

Administrator
EGTR / London, United Kingdom

Too large, and the layout in general wastes too much real estate. This is also true for the “old” version. On a phone it looks good though.

Research suggests that people’s former aversion to scrolling has diminished now to such an extent that having plenty of whitespace is generally considered a good thing. For some of our clients accessibility is a real concern. Pilots tend to be among the more visually able because, well, it’s part of the medical for a start! However, even here it really helps with the approachability for newcomers, having less dense pages.

I am keen however to get the font size “right” for as many people as possible, whilst acknowledging that there is no right answer for everyone.

Last Edited by David at 14 Sep 11:42
Administrator

Spell Check – from memory sure this existing site had one. It seems to have stopped working !!
Is / should the ‘Spell Check’ be a function of my computer or a EuroGA site function.

Spell Check is a function of your browser. It shouldn’t have changed from the current version to the new one. It still works for me. Anybody else seeing that it used to work but now doesn’t?

Administrator

Maybe add a few smilies.

Mooney, don’t tell Peter (because he loves ‘em and I don’t) but it’s now an easy job for an administrator to add as many as they like…

Administrator

On my HTC One phone (4,7 in screen) it is a different story. The page titles are way oversized the page navigation (direct access to next/previous/first/last or any page number and total number of posts) spans three lines because of the large spacing between each item. The identity of the poster with avatar and home base wastes lots of space, but that was already the case with the old site.

Thanks. I have that same phone in a pile on my desk. I’ll take another look at it. This will probably be something we continue to tweak once it’s gone live.

Administrator

Fonts

We’ve adjusted the primary font sizes on the test version so that everything is slightly smaller. Any feedback? We’ve also changed the font itself, though the change is pretty subtle and you’d need them side-by-side to tell the difference, unless you’re a typographywiz.

Last Edited by David at 14 Sep 11:56
Administrator

David at #35

I WAS using Firefox with the existing (not the new EuroGA) when I lost the Spell Checker.

Now I know it’s a function of my browser I have consequently tried IE and Chrome and Spell Checker works again.

So my Firefox at fault, but think will move to Chrome in any-case. Thanks

Regret no current medical
Was Sandtoft EGCF, North England, United Kingdom

WarleyAir – I have met you and I would have hoped you would be old enough to have successfully escaped the much more recent collapse of the British edukkkattttion system

But, yes, EuroGA (or any other site I know of) never had spell checking. It must be a browser feature and the browser needs to be to some extent “context aware” i.e. aware that you are entering text into a text entry box on a website. There are websites on which spell checking is impossible because the text entry context is real time interactive with the server and that will break any spell checker.

Last Edited by Peter at 14 Sep 13:25
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message