Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Try out the new version of EuroGA

Research suggests that people’s former aversion to scrolling has diminished now to such an extent that having plenty of whitespace is generally considered a good thing.

I guess I’m old school then I think a PC is a PC, a phone is a phone etc. Trying to apply “PC layout” on a phone is just as bad as phone layout on a PC. Windows 8 for instance, what where they thinking? The whole reason for a PC is to have a large screen, a non-touch based large screen, with keyboard and a mouse/touch pad.

It’s not only look strange, the functionality is also lost. In my “old school” opinion of course

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

What are the changes? Looks the same to me…

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Peter at #40

Yep, think I am old enough to have escaped that, but nevertheless I understand I have slight dyslexia thus spelling is not always perfect.

Right now I’m using Chrome and SC is working OK. Sure it use to do in Firefox, but has decided not to for some reason.

Strange as I have Firefox / EuroGA on second domestic PC and SC is OK on that.

Firefox on this PC seems to have ‘thrown a wobbly’ – it also crashes (this machine only) when it goes to Wikipedia.

Have reloaded it but to no avail. Don’t understand what’s up with it – Chrome will have to do ATPIT !!

Regret no current medical
Was Sandtoft EGCF, North England, United Kingdom

Trying to apply “PC layout” on a phone is just as bad as phone layout on a PC. Windows 8 for instance, what where they thinking? The whole reason for a PC is to have a large screen, a non-touch based large screen, with keyboard and a mouse/touch pad.

Absolutely. The technology, which we’re using here on EuroGA, is what’s known as “responsive”. This means the layout changes to suit the size of the device on which you’re using it. That’s why on a phone it puts the poster’s avatar and other info under the post rather than alongside it. Otherwise if that right hand column (visible on a PC) was on the right hand side on a phone there would be little room left for the post itself.

Administrator
EGTR / London, United Kingdom

What are the changes? Looks the same to me…

Anthony, you’re definitely looking at http://eurogadev.dsc.net right? Most of the visual changes are fairly subtle but there is a list of functional changes in my first post. The one most people seem to be appreciating is the ability to drag and drop photos in to your posts. There are also lots of behind the scenes changes which help us manage the forums.

Last Edited by David at 14 Sep 15:49
Administrator

Right now I’m using Chrome and SC is working OK

We’ve tested the site generally (not spell checking specifically) on about 15 different OS/browser combinations, not counting mobile and that covers most users on a % basis, but there are many many more combinations out there that we’ve not tried. We want it to work on as many as possible of course, but our developers mostly use Chrome so that’ll likely yield the best results, at least until people report problems with others and we fix them. Unless of course it’s Internet Explorer 5 or something. Sometimes I swear it would be cheaper for us to send said person a brand new laptop with a recent version of Chrome or Firefox installed on it than spend time catering for old versions of Internet Explorer.

For the technically minded, specifically interested or just plain bored, the breakdown for EuroGA is:

Safari: 35%
Chrome: 32%
Firefox: 16% (possibly all Peter!)
Internet Explorer: 11% (of which 46% is V11, 28% is V9, 12% is V8 and 2% is before that)
Android: 1%

That means about 1.5% of people are getting a crappy experience by using IE 8 or less. It does work, but it’s a bit ugly.

Anyway, spell checking should work in any modern browser. What would be of particular interest is if the spell checker works on some sites but not on this one. That would be really strange though, because the box into which you type your posts is a bog-standard textarea.

Administrator

Spell-checkers are worth nowt – mine will flag realise while it is happy with realize
Of course that is UK English vs. US English, with any luck we’ll soon have a Scots Spell Tchekkarr …

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Firefox: 16% (possibly all Peter!)

Nope! He only gets 15.5%, I’m the other Firefoxer here ;-)

Re the font: the slightly tweaked one now deffo looks better. I think my issue with the prior version was the kerning, the current one is easier to read (though I have to admit I still prefer the one on the ‘old’ site).

@Jan: at least on a Mac you can tell the machine which language to use for spell checking, and yes, the list includes US and UK English.

possibly all Peter!

Negative, sir

LSZK, Switzerland

Mee too using Firefox, mostly, but not on Mac (Mac and such are for rich people).

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium
Sign in to add your message