Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Trying to make sense on Gear Hydraulics schematic

Niner_Mike wrote:

However: how does the pump know to stop in the DOWN position? Is it through the microswitches that also drive the gear lights?
And: I understand this pump to only draw filtered oil from the reservoir when the gear goes up, right?

Correct on all. It will keep pumping until three green.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

achimha wrote:

The system is designed to always keep the hydraulic system within a pressure range. The low pressure switch turns the pump on, the high pressure switch turns it off.

This is, for PA-28RT correct only for up. It will pump up until the high pressure switch switches the pump off, it opens the circuit to the relay. It doesn’t have a low pressure switch. When in up, the pressure drops, the switch will close again, and the pump will run again, until the pressure is reached again.

When selecting down, it runs as long as you don’t have three green. No pressure switches there. There is an overpressure valve to relief pressure should the pressure become excessive.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Niner Mike,

you buying a Turbo Arrow? Sweet. I have a soft spot for that aircraft.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Peter wrote:

The pump I opened up, a Parker one, has filters on the pump inlets.

For the PA28RT, it only filters, when it pumps fluid from the reservoir (up only). When selecting down, fluid is recycled.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

@Boscomantico

Yeah, you guessed it! You can come and get the price for guessing correctly in a hangar in Lille Lesquin (LFQQ) where my now co-owned Piper Turbo Arrow III is parked. Co-owned as it is a mere 20%, but at least I stepped a foot into the wonderful world of aircraft ownership!
I looked for this type aircraft for 2 years after having lurked on Planecheck for 6 years getting to know the market. And all of the sudden: there was the advertisement: a share in an immaculate 1978 Turbo Arrow (at least for as immaculate as it gets at this age)! In my favourite secret jewel airport Lille: H24, IFR approaches and a whopping 3,3 euro landing fee !
So I am learning on the type, made a couple of flights, rendering it IFR again and paying the bills … I am a happy man.

Abeam the Flying Dream
EBKT, western Belgium, Belgium

;-)
A turbo Arrow is a great plane. I was looking at many before i bought my plane. Is it a III with a straight tail or a T?

Classic tail

Abeam the Flying Dream

1978s are IIIs, with the straight tail.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Here is my new companion, bought in co-ownership (a group).

Abeam the Flying Dream

Many thanks for the posters, great answers, and 9M congratulations on the Arrow. Honest, practical aircraft, hopefully you add a photo of the panel.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom
20 Posts
Sign in to add your message