Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Turkey?

Petakas,
Thank you for your help. I’ll definitely report.
Peter,
That may be the case, but I’ve done tech stops in the past, so they do exist. One example was flying back from La Rochelle, we cleared customs there then flew to Nantes to refuel on our way to EGLM. La Rochelle had run out of Avgas and we didn’t have the time to notify customs at Nantes. In the GAR form, the provenance was La Rochelle. In your German example, your provenance as declared to them for Customs is Shoreham.

EGTF, LFTF

In your German example, your provenance as declared to them for Customs is Shoreham.

Yes, but that would make the flight illegal, because Peenemunde needs a Schengen stop if flying to/from the UK.

The point I am making is that if you did make a tech stop at LTQ, nobody in Germany will know it was a tech stop. The flight will be most definitely illegal (IAW German law) but nobody is going to find out, which is really handy because you saved yourself some hassle at the “tech stop airport”. It would provide a means of flying around without a passport, for example, because you would appear to be clearing Customs at the Customs airport, but actually nobody looked at you there because that airport regarded it as a tech stop.

I think airliner tech stops take place mainly where

• nobody is getting off (or are getting off into a sealed lounge) and
  • the inbound flight was from a different country, and
  • the onward flight is out to a different country

so the country where you made the tech stop doesn’t give a damn anyway.

But if a planeload of people flew in from Vietnam, did a tech stop at Manston (UK), and flew on to some farm strip (UK), you bet somebody would get awfully interested if they knew the Manston stop was a tech stop. But they won’t ever find out.

I don’t think we are actually “arguing” about anything, but it might explain why almost nobody offers “tech stops”, as they would make abuse of the port of entry system very easy.

Last Edited by Peter at 04 Mar 09:07
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

There are a million ways to break the law and this is just one of them. If you do a proper tech stop at an airport equipped for it and aware of it, then this is a very useful tool to avoid having to go through customs multiple times. All customs/police units involved had no problem accepting that I did a “technical landing” in a non-Schengen country. Both the term and the principle were well known and accepted.

Wow, so many words here since my last visit. Thank you, Petakas, for sharing information – it’s really usefull. I’ll contact Mr. Erdogan right now for details. I plan LTFE or LTBS for custom/refuel and LTFG as final destination (if there’s not small airfields closer to Antalya).

EVCA

Gozen have come back with their quote. Most costs are fine, but they slap eur500 of handling at each airport, and istanbul Atartuk has a “mandatory GA lounge” at 104eur per pax per movement – I’m going with my wife and 3 kids, so if crew pays too that’s eur1,085 right there! My wife is PPL+IR(R) so she’s been promoted to P2 on this trip, and I’m checking if crew pays.

EGTF, LFTF

This seems to be common pricing of handling company, which does not depend on airplane type. Is it mandatory for all flights to use handling company services?

Last Edited by pshz at 04 Mar 15:19
EVCA

Most costs are fine, but they slap eur500 of handling at each airport, and istanbul Atartuk has a “mandatory GA lounge” at 104eur per pax per movement

Flying should be fun. I would skip a destination if I had to pay 500 EUR for handling which I don’t need…
Plenty of airports available which have reasonable landing fees.

Denopa,

I told you Turkey isn’t much fun nowadays.
However, 500 Euros for handling per stop is totally outrageous. I would challenge that.

At the time, I also didn’t have that GA lounge fee, but things may have changed obviously.
It was still quite expensive five years ago…, about 400 Euros all in all after some negotiating. That included 3 POB and 3 nights parking. Aircraft was an SR22.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 04 Mar 15:39
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

My house is just 3 N.M. from the Turkish coast. For these reasons that you are discusing here,I have never attempted to fly there and be victimised or ridiculed./

LGGG

Oh yes I’m challenging it, not sure what good it will do me! They have agreed that the prices I quoted them from the pplir trip were valid, but apparently that’s changed since Jan1st.
Right now for 7 days and 3 airports I’m looking at eur2.6k… before fuel.
Having said that, return flights from LON and domestic flights add up to eur5k. At least that’s how I plan to rationalise it :-(

EGTF, LFTF
Sign in to add your message