Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Twin - Lofoten as a fly in destination

RobertL18C wrote:

Murphy’s law is hard science, fine light winds and VFR to explore the Lofoten archipelago. Obviously if for real it would be low IFR, icing and gale force winds.

Looking at this video I see that “light winds and sunny VFR” vs “icing gales and low IFR” get 1nm separation

The best advice from Peter_G article appeared to “just follow the coast”, without heading indications that may take you back to Oslo or Sweden, I am assuming the sun and the compass are less reliable there

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

That’s an amazing video. Beautiful.

Also very well done. Highly stable drone footage minimising bandwidth due to slowly moving background and allowing the bitrate to go onto the bits that are moving.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Highly stable drone footage minimising bandwidth due to slowly moving background and allowing the bitrate to go onto the bits that are moving.

It also illustrates the importance of background music, just like this video:

Ibra wrote:

I am assuming the sun and the compass are less reliable there

Norway is very far from the magnetic pole… The sun is as reliable as ever. More so even, as it is above the horizon most of the time in summer.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Some stills here.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

RobertL18C
Am not sure what the clinical condition might be, but will do a virtual flight starting today.

Your postings of your virtual trip, and the beautiful video of Lofoten posted by Ibra, has certainly revived, for me, very fond memories.
As your write-ups show, weather is THE major factor for both planning and execution. Every trip touring Norway must have spare ‘bad weather’ days written in to its timetable.
[I’m curious over what period of time the video was filmed since I was told to only expect VFR weather like it shows for 14 days a year!]

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

Airborne_Again wrote:

Norway is very far from the magnetic pole… The sun is as reliable as ever. More so even, as it is above the horizon most of the time in summer.

Yes it is far from magnetic/geographic pole (far measured by Avgas gallons), I guess one can still go up to Svalbard (still Norway) following his compass that sits on latitude 78 which is indeed the “North Pole” in aviation terms, above that one could jus follow the sun or stars

Curious question: can you get stuck in North Pole flying DI/HSI? just by following precession errors from gyro, earth rotation, transport wander…one can always get away from cutting his own path by flying faster but I am not sure about the break-even value for flying speed

Last Edited by Ibra at 28 Apr 12:30

Peter_G wrote:

[I’m curious over what period of time the video was filmed since I was told to only expect VFR weather like it shows for 14 days a year!]

Don’t compare, I think they got more budget for that drone and 3 years to come up with that video from the tourism office

Last Edited by Ibra at 28 Apr 12:32

Exactly; this wasn’t done with a DJI Mavic and a 4K camera under it. Probably a ~10k-20k drone. Would really hate the battery to go flat in the middle of all that water

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Since we are discussing flying over Norway, I thought about a flight I’ve done a couple of years ago. I took a C172 from Trondheim and flew south inland towards Snøhetta, a montain top then turned west following the valley which ends at Geiranger and followed the Geiranger fjord until Ålesund where we landed for a short break after 2 hours of flight. The return leg was mostly following the coastline.
Here are the pictures, which are not really as good as the reality, first because the reality is really fantastic, second because taking picture while being the Pilot in Command give not great pictures (the other possibility being great picture to the detriment of the the flight and thus crashing soon after, no point really :-)) Flying over Geiranger

PS: It also shows that we do have good VFR weather here in Norway, one just has to be patient :-).

ENVA, Norway
Sign in to add your message