Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Twin Rating - minimum "maintenance" required

Does one need ME time for an ATPL? I thought one needed 1500hrs for the FAA one, and 1500hrs (including 500hrs in a multi pilot plane) for the JAA one. Airline pilot wannabees seem to be hour building while instructing at flying schools, in SE planes.

Dave - I saw £450/hr for an old piston twin 2 years ago. Seminole, or a Seneca perhaps? The DA42 ought to be cheaper to run.

I would have difficulty justifying keeping up the ME rating, having to rent a twin for it. I already pay ~£150/year for the JAA IR revalidation, which I don't need (the paper is not valid to fly my plane) except to comply with EASA FCL, apparently...

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

How can anyone afford to keep an EASA ME rating up at those sort of costs?

EGTK Oxford

Peter said:

Does one need ME time for an ATPL?....

An applicant for the Australian ATPL(A) must hold, or must have held, an IR(ME).

In the US, one can get an ATP certificate either for a multi-engine or a single-engine plane, or for both (two separate check-rides are then required). So, if you want an ATP certificate with ME-privileges you must have an IR(ME) going for your ATP check-ride since this check flight shall be done with you in command.

YSCB

Peter,

With respect to the ME add on rating, you should be able to do it all in one check ride for the Commercial Pilot - Multi-engine added rating. You would need to complete the instrument tasks on the check-ride that are required for instrument in a multiengine, but not for a single engine. If you did not complete the instrument portion, you would end up with a restriction for VFR only in your commercial multi rating.

The flight review may be taken in any aircraft that you are rated for and it applies to all others, so it can be accomplished in a single engine or multi engine. The same is true of the IPC if it is required. The IPC is only required if your currency lapses and remains lapsed for 6 calendar months prior to the month in which the flight takes place. If you maintain currency in IFR by a six month calendar period prior to the month of the flight that includes 6 approaches, holds, and navigation and tracking courses by electronic means. The last criteria is always met on an approach other than a radar approach and is intended to make sure that you don't just do radar vectors and radar approaches. To carry passengers, you must accomplish 3 takeoffs and landings within 90 days and to carry them at night, you must make three takeoffs and landings at night within the preceding 90 days. If you are just going to be an occasional user of a multiengine aircraft, for example on long trips, a training review of 3 to 6 hours prior to the trip should get one back up to snuff. Here in the US, the insurance companies are the real regulators and go far beyond the FAA requirements and often require an annual simulator review or formal training program.

KUZA, United States

NCYankee said:

With respect to the ME add on rating, you should be able to do it all in one check ride for the Commercial Pilot - Multi-engine added rating. You would need to complete the instrument tasks on the check-ride that are required for instrument in a multiengine, but not for a single engine.

The above does not apply during the instrument portions of the two separate FAA ATP (SEL) and ATP (MEL) check-rides. All test sequences have to be flown during both flight tests.

YSCB

JayBee said (in relation to FAA regulations):

Any checkride counts as a BFR, so when you, for example, add your seaplane rating you are covered for 24 months on all your ratings.

I am afraid that is not correct. A Biennial Flight Review has quite specific aims and objectives both for its "ground" and "flying" part. A BFR can indeed be accomplished in conjunction with some other type-rating/proficiency check-ride but BFR-specific items have to be included in such "combined" test.

YSCB

A BFR can indeed be accomplished in conjunction with some other type-rating/proficiency check-ride but BFR-specific items have to be included in such "combined" test

I am sure you are right Antek but the reality of the way it is done in the USA is that any DPE checkride gives you a BFR. The DPE who did my IR told me specifically that, for example. Same for the CPL checkride.

The flight review may be taken in any aircraft that you are rated for and it applies to all others, so it can be accomplished in a single engine or multi engine

Now that is really interesting! It sounds like you can keep an FAA ME PPL/IR or CPL/IR going without having to rent a twin.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter said:

I am sure you are right Antek but ....

Well, Peter and JayBee, I was NOT right!

Below is the list of flight tests/checks that absolve one from taking a separate Biennial Flight Review:

• • FAR Section 61.58 pilot proficiency check
  • • FAR Part 121 pilot proficiency check
  • • FAR Part 135 pilot proficiency check
  • • FAR Part 141 chief pilot proficiency check
  • • Military pilot proficiency check
  • • Other proficiency checks administered by the FAA
  • • Pilot examiner annual flight check
  • • Flight test for any certificate or rating
  • • Operations specifically authorized by the FAA
  • • Satisfactory completion of any phase of the FAA “Wings” program

Thus, your initial IR test flight was rightly considered as a substitute for a BFR. Interestingly, any future "standard" IPCs (if you let your instrument currency lapse) won't give you an automatic 24 months of exemption from undergoing a separate BFR.

P.S. In Australia, passing the required annual CIR flight test satisfies the requirement for a BFR. Is the same true under UK CAA and/or EASA regulations?

I saw £450/hr for an old piston twin 2 years ago. Seminole, or a Seneca perhaps?

£420 / £370 with / without instructor for a Seneca a few miles Southwest of me... De-iced but pretty basic avionics incl GNS430....I asked if it was WAAS enabled and they looked at me blankly....not needed for IR training anyway...

I had gone there coincidentally on their open -day to enquire about doing an EASA IR....they won't do the IR in a SEP due to the high MSA in the vicinity....hence looking at doing it in the Seneca....then I found out that while the exams for the ATPL are done monthly in Glasgow, the CPL and IR exams are only held at Gatwick at a lesser frequency (they weren't sure what frequency as everyone does the ATPL apparently)....also I thought at some future point I may want an instructor rating, for which a CPL is a prerequisite. So I went there to see what it would take to get a simple SEPIR vs going the FAA route and left with effectively considering a frozen ATPL and a MEP IR!....

Having said that if I wanted to be an airline pilot (way too old for that now), they seemed pretty good....and they have an arrangement with CATS for the ground theory including plans to do the residential bit locally....

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Antek,

I said:

With respect to the ME add on rating, you should be able to do it all in one check ride for the Commercial Pilot - Multi-engine added rating. You would need to complete the instrument tasks on the check-ride that are required for instrument in a multiengine, but not for a single engine.

You commented:

The above does not apply during the instrument portions of the two separate FAA ATP (SEL) and ATP (MEL) check-rides. All test sequences have to be flown during both flight tests

I don't disagree with your comment, but I was specifically referring to the "ME add on rating" as Peter has a FAA Commercial Pilot ASEL with instrument airplane, but I didn't quote the FAR section 61.63 which reads "Additional aircraft ratings (other than for ratings at the airline transport pilot certification level."

KUZA, United States
Sign in to add your message