Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Type Ratings in Europe?

I’ve had the opportunity to email with a board member who might be interested in a Turbo Commander. But as always happens in EASA land, there seems to be very undefined procedures for how to obtain a type rating for anything that isn’t “vanilla”. Despite over 15 Turbo Commanders flying in Europe on a mix of US and European registrations, there is apparently no ATO that offers a TR. Nor is there one if you own a Silver Eagle, MU-2, Extra 500 or a whole list of other types that are not as common. God knows how the guy who flies the one-off Dornier Seaplane does. Or the Turbo Prop SIAI Marchettis, or any of the dust croppers, or the Dornier jump planes or the……. You catch my drift.

As I understand it, for those who have FAA licenses they can do training in type in the US and then get it tagged onto the EASA license, somehow. But since it’s not a type rating in the US, then what paperwork do you have to support it being a type rating at all? And how is this done for someone who only has an EASA license?

How is this practically done in everyday life? It seems very nebulous.

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 23 Jan 17:48

@Bookworm might know what might happen there. It’s a mess. This thread is along similar lines. A search digs out this contact also.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Rockwell AC900 series (includes the AC690) can be done by Marshall Business Aviation, Cambridge. Check CAA Standards Document 31.

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

Thanks Dave – I’ll pass it along!

Adam, you should contact Wermlandsflyg in Torsby, Sweden. They have been operating them for a long time and recruit new people every now and then. They must know something about it. Allt annat vore konstigt!

ESSZ, Sweden
5 Posts
Sign in to add your message